My first dry cured ham, wasn't sure if it was spoiling (Update, it came out PERFECT!! with QView!)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Thanks Tom!  Can't wait to see what happens when you cut into yours, I am sure it will be divine.  Have you thought about how you want to prepare it yet?  or when you are going to cut into it?
Will be sharing the tester (picnic) ham with a few friends this Saturday.  Will shave a piece as you did for a test, then do the soak, simmer and bake method.  This should give me a good idea as how to fix the holiday whole ham.

Tom

Will be sharing the tester (picnic) ham with a few friends this Saturday.  Will shave a piece as you did for a test, then do the soak, simmer and bake method.  This should give me a good idea as how to fix the holiday whole ham.

Tom
I wonder if baking the ham will bring out the salt like it did when I fried a few shavings?  It is odd how it does not taste overly salty eaten raw, but is so much more intense when cooked.  Be careful with the shaving test Tom, it might be so good, you end up shaving the entire thing!

I wonder if baking the ham will bring out the salt like it did when I fried a few shavings?  It is odd how it does not taste overly salty eaten raw, but is so much more intense when cooked.  Be careful with the shaving test Tom, it might be so good, you end up shaving the entire thing!
The ham will be desalinized in water for 24 or more hours or more, then cooked in simmering water.  It will then go in the oven only after it has reached room temperature and only long enough to set the glaze.

Frying your ham without soaking would evaporate some of the moisture making the salt more concentrated and pronounced.

Hopefully I will have to restrain myself.

Sure am happy for you, I know there were some mighty stressful times for you.

Tom

Stressful for sure, but what an end product, just amazing.  I brought some into work today for my buddies to try.  I will report back on their opinions of the deliciousness.

Tom, makes sense about the frying part.  I think what was most amazing was how incredibly hard and dry the skin was on the exterior and that it obviously was the reason for trapping the proper amount of moisture inside as it was just perfect for me.  I would have cried if it was spoiled, of course, I might have smelled it as it was in my kitchen pretty much right in my face every day.

Back in effect after a 7 year hiatus of cold smoking and curing this ham. Round 2 coming up! This time a whole leg with hoof intact I got from my sister. Will post some progress pics when I have a chance.

Back in effect after a 7 year hiatus of cold smoking and curing this ham. Round 2 coming up! This time a whole leg with hoof intact I got from my sister. Will post some progress pics when I have a chance.
I butchered 3 hogs this winter and have all the hams just sitting in my freezer waiting to figure out what to do with them. Ill take any instructions you have. Your ham from 2013 looks wonderful.

Many members use my recipe as their GO-TO for ham now.... any questions I'm here

Ham update, I will get some pics to follow, promise. Ham has taken 28 days of salt using Morton's Tender quick following the application instructions on the bag. My ham was just about 13 lbs, so I used 1tbsp of tender quick per lb, or 13 tbsp per application. Added some spices here and there to the cure. This leg had a nice cut near the elbow/tendon I assume to let the blood out so it could drain good. I shoved my finger top knuckle deep down in there with salt on each application as well as really up under the outer fat layer and all over the leg. Now it's been rinsed, bagged in a nice cheesecloth sac, and since this fridge is in use for other things, I cannot remove the shelf to get a nice hang, so I am laying it on its side in the cheesecloth bag, on top of a metal rack that's on a pan.

Let me know if you guys think this is ok for the equalization period or if it's really better to hang it. Pics to come! I am thinking 2 weeks equalization, but need to check my calcs again, then cold smoke then hang in my kitchen just like last time.

Only difference so far is that last time I used Morton's Sugar Cure, and this time I used Tender Quick, last time I injected around the bone, this time I did not. Last time the ham was at least twice as lage too.-

-Trizz

Pics as promised..

74726B66-F982-4E60-A9BD-164C245D5F07.jpeg

A7C2F583-5D1C-472B-9191-EADF310ACF63.jpeg

2335E49C-CEF8-4BBD-BF56-8C46D80072C7.jpeg

16DC652A-487E-43C7-94AA-0590865E8F0E.jpeg

That cut in the "elbow/tendon" is for the gambrel. When they hang the hog.

I understand leaving the hock on for easier hanging...I guess...but why leave the trotter on?

Good question, I don't know.. I guess, why not leave it on? It is kinda skank. I suppose I'm too far in the salting process to consider removing it. I don't think there is any harm leaving it is there?

HA HA it will eventually be hanging up in my kitchen for all to see and comment on.. dirty skank trotter. Now you guys make me regret not cutting it off...

However feast your eyes on this Jamon Iberico Ham. This is what has stuck in my mind forever and why I likely maybe even subconsciously left it on..
jamon-iberico-from-spain.jpg
918f8KXh67L._SL1500_.jpg

Updated pic. Two weeks of equalization in my downstairs basement fridge and a 4 PM start time on the smoke today January 27 using pitmaster blend pellets in my stainless steel snake and I lit both ends ...
1AF20F4A-EC7C-47CB-BFC5-D5894B48987D.jpeg

Damnit!!!! That was my ANMS sawdust kit, and the pellets must have all caught fire and burned at once! I went out to check on that nice thin blue smoke and when I put my hand on top of the grill, which I had partially covered with the grill cover it was pretty warm... even a bit stuck to the grill cover...

I opened it up and damn all pellets were fine and Ham was warm to the touch on the outside... Jesus I hope I didn’t ruin it...

I have the correct stainless steel snake now for the pellets and it’s moving along now.

:(

My warmed ham
C88B3FB2-17EF-4ACC-A2B1-233AAD4B00F3.jpeg

New setup

A67C7E6B-A87D-40D5-AD0B-53189B0C9986.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky