MY FIRST CURING CHAMBER BUILD!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Really nice set-up Al. I just consulted with Carnac the magnificent and he sees many a good vittle coming out of that chamber.

Chris

Thanks Chris!
I just added some salami to the chamber & it's filled to capacity.
Now I just have to wait!
Al

Reactions: JC in GB
By the smell of it? Something wrong?

Nothing wrong!
Everything came out great so far!
Al

The salami you just added, are they in the umai bags?

No, these are in collegen casings. No need for UMAi casings in a curing chamber.
A lot cheaper in the long run.
Al

That looks great! I have my inkbird temp and humidity controls and humidifier.

just lack the cooler.

Would you mind saying which brand/make/model you used?

Any difficulty figuring where to drill holes for wires/probes?

Appreciate any input.

Hi Bill
This is the one I have. I like it for a few reasons.
One the glass door.
Two it has a on & off switch for the light, so I leave the light in the on position.
That way when the fridge comes on the light comes on too & I can see that everything is working & how often the fridge cycles on & off.
It also has a manual temp control, which for this application I think is better. The digital ones seem to default to the highest setting when the fridge loses electricity.
For the wires I just put them thru the door on the hinge side. You can adjust the door so it closes a little tighter on that side so there isn't an air gap. I can put my hand right next to the wires & not feel any cool air escaping I was afraid to drill because it's hard to tell where the refrigerant lines & electric wires go. Also get yourself a small computer fan & a dimmer switch. I leave the fan on all the time on the lowest speed. I think it helps keep the air circulating. I also found a great website https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdnBWzYQfkql-o460NTL1Tw.
They have a ton of videos on curing.
Hope this helps!!
Al

Hi Bill
This is the one I have. I like it for a few reasons.
One the glass door.
Two it has a on & off switch for the light, so I leave the light in the on position.
That way when the fridge comes on the light comes on too & I can see that everything is working & how often the fridge cycles on & off.
It also has a manual temp control, which for this application I think is better. The digital ones seem to default to the highest setting when the fridge loses electricity.
For the wires I just put them thru the door on the hinge side. You can adjust the door so it closes a little tighter on that side so there isn't an air gap. I can put my hand right next to the wires & not feel any cool air escaping I was afraid to drill because it's hard to tell where the refrigerant lines & electric wires go. Also get yourself a small computer fan & a dimmer switch. I leave the fan on all the time on the lowest speed. I think it helps keep the air circulating. I also found a great website https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdnBWzYQfkql-o460NTL1Tw.
They have a ton of videos on curing.
Hope this helps!!
Al

Great stuff. appreciate it!

That is impressive!! I just made my first batch of pepperoni using 15 lbs of venison and 3 lbs of pork shoulder. I learned a lot making this first batch and screwed up multiple steps but it all worked out. I have made a lot of jerky, smoked salmon, beer, sauerkraut and kvass but NEVER pepperoni...so my grandpa asked me if I could make him pepperoni and I happily agreed...However, when doing it the first time I should have practiced first on a 2-3 lb batch instead of 18 lbs!! ;)

First question...what is a curing chamber? How long do you cure inside the chamber? Will you still smoke these meats after this? I have never heard of a “curing chamber.”

That is impressive!! I just made my first batch of pepperoni using 15 lbs of venison and 3 lbs of pork shoulder. I learned a lot making this first batch and screwed up multiple steps but it all worked out. I have made a lot of jerky, smoked salmon, beer, sauerkraut and kvass but NEVER pepperoni...so my grandpa asked me if I could make him pepperoni and I happily agreed...However, when doing it the first time I should have practiced first on a 2-3 lb batch instead of 18 lbs!! ;)

First question...what is a curing chamber? How long do you cure inside the chamber? Will you still smoke these meats after this? I have never heard of a “curing chamber.”

A curing chamber is simply a cabinet that has both humidity & temperature controls. For long term fermenting & drying sausages, you need a controlled environment & you need cure#2. These meats will not be smoked or cooked at all. If your going to smoke your pepperoni, just use cure#1, & start your smoker out at around 120 degrees with no smoke for an hour to dry the casings out, then add smoke & increase the temp 10 degrees every hour until you get to 170-175. The sausages will be done when the IT hits 152 degrees. Then put them in an ice bath to stop the cooking & you can let them dry at room temp for a couple of hours, then into the fridge. Good luck!
Al

Al, thanks for posting the link to 2 Guys and a Cooler. I just scored a free refrigerator and I'm going to ordering all the equipment soon to get it up and running for a drying chamber. I've been watching a lot of their youtubes after running across your link. I like their pepperoni recipe, think I'll try that first as I have some odd sized pieces of 2" beef middles left over I need to use.

Al, thanks for posting the link to 2 Guys and a Cooler. I just scored a free refrigerator and I'm going to ordering all the equipment soon to get it up and running for a drying chamber. I've been watching a lot of their youtubes after running across your link. I like their pepperoni recipe, think I'll try that first as I have some odd sized pieces of 2" beef middles left over I need to use.

No problem!
It will be a lot of fun to build & then to actually make your own pepperoni. It's a real pleasure! And kinda addictive!
Al

Thats a pretty slick setup.I am just looking into this myself. Have been doing the umai thing and still will. What got me nosing around is I am doing my first real prosciutto.I did one last year but cheated a bit by taking the inside muscle out and putting it in a umai bag and removed the femur bone and hung to cure.This time I am leaving the whole leg intact but wondering where the hell I will hang it come summer.Everyone thinks Canada is cold but I live in the most southern part of the country and it is humid as you know what here in the summer.....surrounded by great lakes.
I think I may take a stab at a similar set up such as yours.Looks like it is working for you.
Points for sure.

from this thread, i concerted a wine fridge into a curing chamber. i am about 5 months in on venison(deer) “prosciutto.” Question, after it loses about 30% of the hanging weight post curing and drying, i am using a nordic recipe where i will coat it in beeswax and age it for 18 months. once i coat it, i am assuming that humidity no longer matters...but should i keep it at 55-60°F or can it hang at 65-70°F? i know it’s sealed and humidity is not an issue but is temperature?...assuming it stays consistent in the range i mentioned?

Thank you Robert!
It was a pretty easy thing to set up & it is still working quite well!
Good luck with your setup, I think you will like the chamber better than the Umai bags.
Plus it's a lot of fun!
Al

was thinking of going with umai bags but now think I want a chamber. Do these chambers need to be frost free like as needed for umai bags? If not frost free will I also need a dehumidifier?

was thinking of going with umai bags but now think I want a chamber. Do these chambers need to be frost free like as needed for umai bags? If not frost free will I also need a dehumidifier?

No they don't need to be frost free, but they do need some air circulation. If the fridge has a fan, then that probably will be enough, but I used a small computer fan & just let it run 24/7. It will depend on where you live & the relative humidity of the air outside & inside your home to determine if you will need a dehumidifier too.
Hope this helps!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky