My first cold smoked salmon in my Big Green Egg

Discussion in 'Other' started by hud52, Oct 6, 2014.

1. As I just bought an A-MAZE-N Pellet Smoker, I wanted to try cold smoking the Coho (silvers to those below the border) I caught last Thursday.  I used the recipe from: http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?103-The-Best-Smoked-LOX-Style-Salmon

I brined the 12 lbs of coho for (8 hours), wet brined it (8 hours), refreshed it (35 minutes), air dried it (2 hours), then smoked it for 2 hours. First time trying this recipe, but it worked out really well.......As I couldn't find Alder pellets, I used a combination of Apple pellets and Alder wood chips in my A-Maze-N smoker box. To ensure the temperature didn't go above 75 degrees farenheit I put a pan of ice in the Big Green Egg and used my temperature probe.

Smoked the fish in the Egg for two hours and just had a very tasty noon hour snack of cold smoked salmon on crackers with cream cheese and capers! Awesome!

2. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Tasty looking Coho! Nice Smoke!

3. MY T FINE!

Happy smoken.

David

4. mark66

mark66 Fire Starter

5. cmayna

cmayna Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I like Lox a lot

6. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That looks great, nice job with a good color. Also congrats on the pellet smoker you will love it for cheese and all other kinds of cold smokes you will do. 

DS

7. Thanks driedstick.  I took a couple of pieces of the salmon to a dinner for 6 last Friday evening  and it was all consumed in record time, not a shred left.  I guess they like it.  I'll be making some more this week.  Can't wait to start smoking cheese now I have the right tools to do so.

8. turick

turick Meat Mopper

Looks great hud!  Unless they ran out, you can order alder pellets from a-maze-n.