My first cold smoked salmon in my Big Green Egg

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hud52

Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Victoria, BC Canada
As I just bought an A-MAZE-N Pellet Smoker, I wanted to try cold smoking the Coho (silvers to those below the border) I caught last Thursday.  I used the recipe from: http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?103-The-Best-Smoked-LOX-Style-Salmon

I brined the 12 lbs of coho for (8 hours), wet brined it (8 hours), refreshed it (35 minutes), air dried it (2 hours), then smoked it for 2 hours. First time trying this recipe, but it worked out really well.......As I couldn't find Alder pellets, I used a combination of Apple pellets and Alder wood chips in my A-Maze-N smoker box. To ensure the temperature didn't go above 75 degrees farenheit I put a pan of ice in the Big Green Egg and used my temperature probe.

Smoked the fish in the Egg for two hours and just had a very tasty noon hour snack of cold smoked salmon on crackers with cream cheese and capers! Awesome!

That looks great, nice job with a good color. Also congrats on the pellet smoker you will love it for cheese and all other kinds of cold smokes you will do. 

DS

Thanks driedstick.  I took a couple of pieces of the salmon to a dinner for 6 last Friday evening  and it was all consumed in record time, not a shred left.  I guess they like it.  I'll be making some more this week.  Can't wait to start smoking cheese now I have the right tools to do so.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky