My first butt have questions.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Finale update and sorry no finale pic. It’s funny for once I was way ahead of schedule on the cook and half the family Knows I am always running late. But not this time😀 so they all showed up late and I had to get it served quick and forgot pictures sorry. The butts turned out perfect amazing bark great smoke ring, and juicy. I will never worry about not finishing in time anymore because of the advice I got and the trick about putting them back in a oven at 165 I did 175 was perfect. So now I will cook ahead always. The new Pellet smoker was great as well,really enjoying it. I did attach a photo of the second butt after it chilled over night and a small piece missing lol. Thanks do all the great advice glad I found this forum.

Congrats on the success!!! Yah once you take the jump and see the ease and results of finishing hours early and holding you never go back hahaha.

A hold up to 5hrs I tightly double wrap in foil and then tightly wrap in 3 bath towels and never have any issues, its steaming hot when time to eat. Above that the oven will hold at 165-175F no problem while they are wrapped in the foil.

This works super well for pork butt and briskets.
I tried with pork ribs and need to do a little more investigation. I tried the same technique but the ribs were more fall apart making me think I need to probably let them cool down some to like 180F and then foil + towel wrap and hold.
I rarely try to hold ribs but I had to transport these guys over 1hr away so rolled with it. Live and learn :)

I generally run my butts at around 225-250 (where ever my gas passer wants to settle in) until the meat stalls then foil wrap. Depending as to how I'm doing on time I'll leave it there or crank the heat up to around 300. If I'm done early I'll wrap more foil and into a cooler with towels. 3 hours later its still in the 170 degree range.
Jim

CONGRATS! For ribs, I smoke in advance and park in fridge. When serving I fire up the grill, sear, and sauce. I have a stash of frozen vac sealed stuff ready to go in a moments notice. Worrying over food being done in time is a buzzkill :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky