My First Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bamaboy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 26, 2010
Hueytown Al

4bd988d1_IMG_20101107_110825.jpg
406369c8_IMG_20101111_105632.jpg
d35dc031_IMG_20101111_135131.jpg
ff1bcf24_IMG_20101111_142133.jpg
Hey guys and gals,I thought i would share some pics of my progress.I know its not much to look at yet,but i cant quit thinking about what else i could do.I am surprised i have not got any flack at work yet.making parts,sneaking scrap while nobodies looking.he he.any way.this started life as a 80 gallon compressor that my buddy gave me for my shop.after
ce4fd945_IMG_20101023_140410.jpg
sitting in the driveway for 2 years and joining this darn website.well you get the picture
icon_rolleyes.gif
c083a1b8_IMG_20101010_1121564.jpg

Please forgive the layout,just figuring how to post pics,will follow with some more and maybe some past q-view

Nice start there. How many racks are you going to put in it? How did you calculate your firebox size?  Are you going to build a frame with wheels for mobility? also where did you get those hinges 

Last edited:
We are watching and waiting for more pics... So Far So Good...

I like the hinges,  did you make them or purchase?  If purchased where from?

Looks good!

icon_cool.gif

It looks good to me so far. Please keep us up in the progress.

The hinges are made for heavy equipment doors,they almost never wear out.heavy cast steel with lube fittings,I plan to have two slide out racks of angle/expanded metal.upper for ribs,chicken parts and lower for large cuts.i used the pit calculator for the fire box dimensions.I am so excited about this build...

I have to agree with the rest, really like those hinges. Glad to see that they come apart, in case they need some service.

Look forward to seeing this progress and more pics.

Working on more pics.have to email them to my work pc and then save and download.its actually sitting on the frame now and I am working on a trailer type axle for the rear(heavy end).straight tube and weld in spindles with normal trailer hubs.not real sure what to do about the front as far as wheels go.also plan saturday to burn it out,its got a lot of oil in the steel,.I found that out the hard way on my second or third weld.question guys/gals?has anyone ever used a vogelzang firebox door on a offset smoker.I found them on amazon and sears for like 30 dollars or so.I think it would look cool.what do yall think?

Ok got a few more pics,this is of my axle,spindles and wheels/tires.one of the door open and a few inside.plus my fire grate that i almost messed up.finally got my expanded metal for the grates and wood rack.
2db50cdc_IMG_20101120_093530.jpg
28eadb14_IMG_20101120_093517.jpg
f25bd7d5_IMG_20101120_093608.jpg
45cdb6e0_IMG_20101120_093722.jpg
faf92ae5_IMG_20101120_121517.jpg
6b0a1f91_IMG_20101120_121540.jpg
4f040da5_IMG_20101111_142133.jpg

What a cool build Bama, I missed this thread somehow, sorry about that.

The tank is an awesome find along with the trailer, especially since they were free.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

The hinges are way cool as well.

If the compressor off that old tank worked still, it would make for one heck of an air compressor that didn't have to work very hard to keep up.

Then....

I saw the tires, WOW. When I first saw them I thought they were spares for a forklift. I like um alot, very cool.

BTW there is no shame in digging thru the scrap bin.

In one of the pics I see a stinger laying on the floor, but the welds on the re-bar grate look nice and shiny, almost like a mig weld.

Great Job so far.

Tom your right on the money about the welds,I welded the fire grate at work with a mig,my mig at home is too small to weld much more than 1/8''.the rest of the smoker is welded with an old trusty a/c 225 lincoln.you were close on the tires/wheels,they are industrial.but not for forklifts.they are meant for a load bearing roller system(kinda hard to explain).they were the wrong size tires for the job so i bartered for a set.5x4.5  pattern.

Gotta love it when the wrong thing shows up, then its time for (lets make ah deal).

I started welding with a HF flux core machine and a 235 ac/dc hobart stick machine. Long story short, the HF is long gone and I now have a miller 211 mig. I never really even tried the thin stuff with the stick until this last project, I always just figured it was for the heavy stuff. I changed things up from the normal 7018 dc and ran some 6013 ac. WOW is all I can say. Its so much nicer to drag a stinger and lead with ya over the whole mig machine, especially working on my trailer. Maybe one day I will have a grown up stick welder with a few more options.

On the tires, since they were for load bearing use, are they highway legal or for off road use only?

Tom I am looking to buy a 211 or similar unit,maybe an autoset unit.but it will have to wait until some extra $$$$ comes along.the tires are not for street use,so it will end up being a very heavy duty yard smoker.at least for now.after tonights turkey and ham smoke i hope to start back on it tomorrow.

All right folks after a couple of crazy weeks at work with union strikes and some pain in the butt side work at home,I might get to work on my build again.hopefully with some progress pics.That is if the weather cooperates,supposed to be in the teens here Sunday night.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky