My first build - 120 gallon tank

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks great Joe! Glad to hear you son and daughter are showing interest in your project. There is nothing better you can do than to teach your kids some skills, these days most only excel at video games. Well done sir!

Don't worry, you aren't losing your hair, you will find it growing out of your ears. Trust me on that one!!! 
icon_eek.gif

yeah I already had one. didn't position wheels in right place and it started to tip over on the firebox end. I got a good laugh out of it now I have to fix just think I will fill the other other legs with lead. on your question on the flux core its going to be a personal thing I like gas better no slag to clean. 
I saw that on your post Rotor, I plan on mounting my wheels outside the FB so it will have a nice wide stance.  CC is 30" and the tires will be about the same width.

Hello Joe NY,

Making good progress. When you are standing next to it the size of that tank really stands out. Should make a great smoker.
As you alluded to earlier for the welder, you really need the flux core if you are going to be welding outside with any kind of breeze.
The Welding Tips and Tricks videos are a good resource. My take away for MIG is weld slower than you want to, keep a short stick-out, and keep the arc at the front edge of the puddle.
Keep us posted.

More progress today, made the cut for the CC door.  I left the side partially cut until I mount the hinges, they are in the mail.  ordered the steel today picking up tomorrow it is not as cheap as I have seen on some of the posts.  I shopped around and got the best price and he through in 4 cuts so I can fit it the back of my Explorer.  Getting very excited, got a few days of hard work, like real work ahead and hope to get back on the project this weekend.  My son is really showing interest which warms my heart, this is the first project he is really into.  Here are some pics of today's progress.

Forgot my hat again 
biggrin.gif

My son on the sawzall

Cutting the corners

Missed a spot

My son getting fancy with the camera, shot through the FB opening

Got a torch, figured how to use it and bending rod for handles

My little man with the torch, he's a natural

I love watching smoker builds,  Nice

Gary

Steel prices vary depending on several factors. The part of the country you live in, availability, demand and who's buying it. I can buy that same sheet for less than than 200 bucks. Main reason is we have several fabricators and suppliers here in Tyler, And with me being in the steel erection business, I get a good price. People who walk in off the street will pay more. Now if you live where there are no fabricators and not a lot of sales, plate will be higher, because they are only buying a few sheets at a time for inventory from a distributor and not truckloads direct from the mill.

Gary

Your build is really coming together. It's nice to SE your son helping out. Good luck with it and keep those pics coming. Joe

It's fun building your own smoker, A little advice from someone that has built a few, take your time, don't get in a hurry

Gary

More progress today, made the cut for the CC door.  I left the side partially cut until I mount the hinges, they are in the mail.  ordered the steel today picking up tomorrow it is not as cheap as I have seen on some of the posts.  I shopped around and got the best price and he through in 4 cuts so I can fit it the back of my Explorer.  Getting very excited, got a few days of hard work, like real work ahead and hope to get back on the project this weekend.  My son is really showing interest which warms my heart, this is the first project he is really into.  Here are some pics of today's progress.

Forgot my hat again 
biggrin.gif

My son on the sawzall

Cutting the corners

Missed a spot

My son getting fancy with the camera, shot through the FB opening

Got a torch, figured how to use it and bending rod for handles

My little man with the torch, he's a natural
You and your helper....you are bending solid round stock correct? If so, what are you using for a torch, is it just a simple little MAPP gas deal?

That's some mighty fine looking help

Gary

That's some mighty fine looking help

Gary
Yes it is great time with them.  Slow going for sure but building it is half the fun.  Few more pics today.  Looking to do a little welding tomorrow.

Got the steel cut down so it would fit in my SUV, making the cuts for the FB now.

This is when my wife pulled in from work, some explaining was required

He is getting the hang of things a little less squeamish.  This is the first project I let him handle power tools.

After all, it's only 1/2" stock. Just use a good pair of vise grips and bend it by hand. At least you could tell folks that's how you did it. If you really want to get someone's attention, tell them your son bent it. It's really looking good, Joe

Some more progress, after measuring and clamping and remeasuring and reclamping like a million times I took the plunge and started welding the FB together.  I have to say it came out better than I expected.  My welds while not great look pretty good and I got good penetration and feel it is very strong.  I have welded 4 of the 6 sides of the FB so far.  I also created a template for the cutout of the FB to the CC.  Maybe this weekend I'll get to it.  I am taking it easy and not rushing and have been really enjoying this. 

This is my first welding project and have watched tons of youtube videos (welding tips and tricks is my favorite).  Here are a few pics of the welding.  I did it while the kids were at school so no action shots taken by my son.

Joe

Capps and Rotorhead thank you for the kind words, that is flux core. I am using a harbor freight 170 welder.

Nice job Joe, "Welding tips and Tricks" is a really good resource to see how it really works. He does a better job than most of getting a view of the puddle with good narrative. I bought his tig finger to support the site and it really works well.

I am in Eastern Washington...was quoted $266, tax included....for a 4'x10' sheet of quarter inch...

Yes it is great time with them.  Slow going for sure but building it is half the fun.  Few more pics today.  Looking to do a little welding tomorrow.

Got the steel cut down so it would fit in my SUV, making the cuts for the FB now.

This is when my wife pulled in from work, some explaining was required

He is getting the hang of things a little less squeamish.  This is the first project I let him handle power tools.
I'm starting a build as we speak and I'm pricing firebox metal now. Is that just a standard circular saw with abrasive wheel or is that a special saw/blade? we have access to a plasma cutter but neither of us have a ton of experience and I feel like a saw is going to be a lot cleaner cut. Esp when fabricating the firebox.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky