My First Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Here is my only tip for next time.... since you have already sliced it.
The grain on a brisket runs kinda weird so this is how the pros slice it:

Note the angle direction the meat fibers run on the flat before you season it. mark the corner that is perpendicular to teh grain with a toothpick. When it's done and ready to slice, start at the tooth pick on the flat and slice at about a 30* angle. slice until you start getting slices with about 25-30% point end. Then rotate the brisket so that the cut end is parallel with the cutting board end that is near the edge of the counter you are slicing on. Then start slicing the point end.
The slice pics are from Jim.
Sven hasn’t posted slice pics yet. I think there was some confusion, Lol

Now I'm really confused!!! LOL!!!
Sven cooked his brisket on a Yoder pellet machine and Jim cooked his on a kettle. Jim just posted his slice shot on Sven’s thread. We are still waiting for Sven’s money shot. Might be fair for him to post it on Jim’s thread, lol, Idk.

E5A794F3-4F5A-47C4-BC0E-874A850C08C4.jpeg

I’m so grateful none of you are coming over for dinner because this didn’t work. The taste was amazing. All the flavors are there. I wouldn’t change that. I even have a respectable smoke ring. The point was super moist. But the flat seized up at some point. Taking it out of the oven the paper seemed extra dry so I’m wondering if that played into this somehow. It was way more firm coming out of the oven for the hold than it was going in. When I took it off the smoker it was super pliable and felt like it was going to crumble.

However, all is not lost. First, I’m not a huge fan of brisket only because it’s so crazy rich. I can never handle more than 2 slices and I’ve already had one so I think I ruined my dinner.

18FC2762-57FE-464C-A69D-8F461BA5D8AD.jpeg
You can see although it bends, it still looks firm.

Second, I cubed up the flat to make into chili chunks which will braise and be amazing. I’m a bigger fan of chili than brisket.

F30D16DD-C8B9-4CB3-8699-FB4F028ED6E4.jpeg
Third, also cooked a tri-tip brisket style and I’m pretty sure that one has a better chance of working.

I would have loved to gotten this right my first time out. But I’m fine with what I have and what I did. I can pivot and make some tasty stuff with the flat and we can devour the point tonight.

Looks good to me! I got lucky with mine. I’m sure the next one will be dog food! 😂 And I can bet that chunked flat will be excellent in some chili!
Jim

Reactions: Sven Svensson
You’re in Idaho. Just hop in your Gulfstream and you’ll be here in an hour. I’m 5 minutes from KSTS. I better start thinking about making some cornbread and mac-n-cheese.

Oh, I did soak the paper in that rendered tallow instead of new Wagyu.
Dang, I was in the shop all day or I would be dong your dishes!!!!

Looks like it turned out tasty. Oh drizzle that tallow. Over the flat and it won’t be dry any more! That is magic flat butter!

• Haha
Reactions: Sven Svensson
View attachment 646002

I’m so grateful none of you are coming over for dinner because this didn’t work. The taste was amazing. All the flavors are there. I wouldn’t change that. I even have a respectable smoke ring. The point was super moist. But the flat seized up at some point. Taking it out of the oven the paper seemed extra dry so I’m wondering if that played into this somehow. It was way more firm coming out of the oven for the hold than it was going in. When I took it off the smoker it was super pliable and felt like it was going to crumble.

However, all is not lost. First, I’m not a huge fan of brisket only because it’s so crazy rich. I can never handle more than 2 slices and I’ve already had one so I think I ruined my dinner.

View attachment 646003
You can see although it bends, it still looks firm.

Second, I cubed up the flat to make into chili chunks which will braise and be amazing. I’m a bigger fan of chili than brisket.

View attachment 646004
Third, also cooked a tri-tip brisket style and I’m pretty sure that one has a better chance of working.

I would have loved to gotten this right my first time out. But I’m fine with what I have and what I did. I can pivot and make some tasty stuff with the flat and we can devour the point tonight.
Nice work Sven, but like I mentioned earlier, if you pull it early the flat will be dry, tough or undesirable. Be patient next time. The heat over time will break the collagen down and make the meat juicy.

Every piece of meat is different and some pieces of meat are just better than others, regardless of the chef involved.

Watching this thread, I think you did good, I also think you pulled the meat just a tad early. That said, welcome to brisket. Lots of variables, but I’d eat that brisket and you wouldn’t hear anything from me but grunts in between breaths. Really looks great.

Nice work Sven, but like I mentioned earlier, if you pull it early the flat will be dry, tough or undesirable. Be patient next time. The heat over time will break the collagen down and make the meat juicy.

Every piece of meat is different and some pieces of meat are just better than others, regardless of the chef involved.

Watching this thread, I think you did good, I also think you pulled the meat just a tad early. That said, welcome to brisket. Lots of variables, but I’d eat that brisket and you wouldn’t hear anything from me but grunts in between breaths. Really looks great.
I figured that must have played a part. I’m now sitting in my dad chair feeling regret eating a full slice. It was so crazy rich. My wife loved it and she had 3. I’ve been eating so many fruits and veg on this diet I think that rich brisket threw me off kilter.

It’s now all getting vacuum wrapped and napping in the freezer until make giant pot of brisket chili at Christmas. I’m looking forward to that.

If I do another I’ll be sure to let it ride a bit higher. Tomorrow I smoke 2 hams I’ve been brining in some Pop’s. I’m an expert at that. I might even turn one of the shoulders into pulled ham and let it ride.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky