• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

My First Big Smoke

tolarius

Fire Starter
Joined Nov 14, 2010
So I have done my first big smoke.  Below are pictures:

Picture of the quarters with the rub...

Picture of the grill in action.

Picture of the final product.  Took picture after everything was consumed lol.

Used apple chips and cooked around 250 for about 4 hours.  Seemed to be a success for my first cook, everyone loved them.

Question though, on one/two of the quarters the skin got really tough like leather like.  Any idea?

mballi3011

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 12, 2009

Now that some fine looking birds you have there. As you now know that chicken is really good on the smoker too. Right???

tolarius

Fire Starter
Joined Nov 14, 2010
Oh yeah, I don't think I could ever cook chicken different again.  Anyone got any ideas for the rubbery/leather skin on one/two of the chickens, on why that might happen?

eman

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 3, 2009
Unless you are smoking upwards of 300° the skin can be rubbery. Best thing most have found is to throw it on a hot grill to crisp up the skin or as i do is under a hot broiler to crisp it up.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.