My first attempt at smoking will be Duck Breasts and questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Atl1530

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 6, 2019
Atlanta
My first attempt at smoking will be Duck Breasts and questions

My head hurts from reading duck recipes. Please, if I am heading in the wrong direction, tell me.

Keeping it simple I am going with Pops6927 Wet Curing Brine. I will make up the brine tomorrow.

1. Tonight should I leave the Duck Breast uncovered in the refrigerator overnight?

2. Is 24 hours in the brine sufficient?

3. It looks like at this point either a rub or glaze is applied. Is this necessary? I am leaning for a rub. Is there any rub recipes that would work well for Duck? Since I am not sure what this will taste like I can't come up with my own recipe.

4. Set the smoker at 180° and bring the Duck up to IT of 100°.

5. I want the skin to be crispy, so I will finish it under the broiler until the IT is 140º. I could pan sear it also.

6. I have a Masterbuilt electric smoker with Apple and Hickory wood chips, which one would be better for Duck?

7. I also have an A-Maze-N tube with Hickory pellets there's no reason to use it for this project...Right? If I set the temp of the smoker at 180º, I should not have a problem with the burners not being on for most of the time....right?

Thank You!!

24 hours would be more than sufficient for brining.
But curing is different, better get a definite answer.

Okay, so your duck is cured and your smoker is ready at 400° with the amps providing hickory smoke.
The skin is dried and scored, and the breasts are seasoned.
Start with a warm dry cast iron skillet, lay the breasts in down and cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes.
Flip the breasts meat down and now straight to the smoker with the skillet.
Finish breast to 130°-135°.

Done.

Hey Chile, a Masterbuilt maxes out at 275.

Crispy Duck Skin takes Time. I would smoke, with with the Tube at 180 until the IT hits 100°F. At this point you will have plenty of smoke flavor. Move to CI on medium, skin down. Place an average weight saute pan or plate on top with a one pound weight. This forces complete skin contact with the pan and presses out melting fat. Remove liquid fat from the pan as you go, we ain't Deep Frying here. Cook to an IT of 130. Turn to meat side and cook to an IT of 140-145, Medium, pink and juicy inside...JJ

Reactions: Atl1530
chef jimmyj chef jimmyj
Well... That won't do.
Your method is just as good.

A Atl1530
Do not throw away that duck fat save it , it is delicious.
Use it to fry potatoes, Brussel sprouts or something.

Forgot to mention that. We don't eat duck often but I like to cook with the fat. I have a Gallon bucket in the refer I bought for cooking...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky