My first attempt at sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dennis s

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
Kennewick, WA
I'm going to smoke a few links I bought at the local store. I've read some threads and it sound like I need to dry the casings out first. Then start the smoke. A few threads said the reach a temp of about 156 or so. What is the prefered way to check the temp. Should I use my temp probe and insert it into a link or is there a better way?

Thanks

Did you get fresh or already cured sausage............  With fresh you can dry the sausage while cold smoke for an hr or more if you have a a-maze-n smoker. Make sure the sausage reaches 140 in less the 4 hrs. I highly recommend the A-maze-n-smoker. Its a great invention then start your temps with some smoke. If your sausage is already cured just smoke and cook slow at low temp till 140 is achieved.

I don't know if it is cured.I just looked at the package and it doesn't state that it is cured. The butcher made it at the store. If I had to guess, I would assume it is fresh. I have a-maze-n-smoker and love it. How do you check the temp. Do you insert a temp probe during the smoke or is there a better method?

Thanks

I am guessing its fresh. I would cold smoke for 1.5 hrs and start temp at 140 and bump 10 degrees every 30 min to make sure it gets done in 4hrs. IT to 143 to 160. You can probe one and keep an eye on your temp and time......

Good luck and dont forget the qveiw

You could just put it in front of a fan for a couple of minutes to dry it out.  If using an electric or propane smoker leave it in the heat wo smoke for about half an hour and that will dry the casings also.  Then add the smoke and do as Boykjo says to bring up the temps.  The reason we dry the sausage prior to putting smoke on it is to reduce the dirty grease that accumulates on the casing.

Good advice above already.

It's not good to guess if it's cured or not. That's why the guys are having you treat it like it is fresh.

I like to probe my thickest one, and I make sure it isn't one in the hottest area of my smoker.

Don't forget the Qview,

Bear

I just put mine on the smoker and they turn out great.
pot.gif
O yes and PIX please

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky