My first 2-2-1 attempt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

warsmokeeagle

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
Auburn, AL
Just got a Masterbuilt Pro Dual Fuel propane smoker. Trying my first 2-2-1 today with some baby backs. Had a little trouble with flare ups so far, so I'll probably try foiling the pan with the wood chunks next time. Using apple wood, a store bought rub, Jim Beam sprayed during foiling. I'll put some BBQ sauce on during the last hour. Planning on throwing on some sausage, too. How long should it take to heat up at 225? Thanks!

They turned out pretty well, but not as tender as I would have liked. The apple did give it a sweet, smoky flavor that I really liked. I'll definitely use a homemade rub over the store bought stuff I used. It wasn't bad, but not great. I figured the Jim Beam would have helped a lot with the tenderizing, but maybe not. Next time, I think I'll go maybe another 30 minutes in the foil and only 30 minutes after the foil. Any tips or suggestions would be welcomed. The experiment sure was fun, though!

I did my first 2-2-1 tonight also. Turned out pretty good. I used hickory which gave a nice smoke flavor. I did go about 1 hour longer because the ribs didn't pass the pull test. I lathered them up with sauce fifteen minutes before pulling them off. Might want to check your thermometer to make sure it's reading correct. My Master Forge was off about 20 deg too high. I also used a wireless meat thermometer. It was 173 about 3 hrs in and stayed there the rest of the time. Hope this helps.

I used another thermometer to monitor the inside temps. The factory one seemed to read anywhere from 10-50 degrees different.

th_What_NO_QVIEW.gif
!!!  We wanna see!  You will find that most of the "smoker thermos" that are built in are not accurate.  They should be--but they are not.  Get yourself a good digital thermometer....and it will get better!

And...WAR EAGLE!

Kat

I bought a digital thermometer that I put hanging on the rack under the ribs. Sorry I didn't make that clear. The built in thermo was the one that read 10-50 degrees cooler than the digital.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky