My ECB + Q

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hardwater

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 2, 2013
Anchorage, AK

Weber vents

Oven gasket on lid

Raised the grill up an inch, I ditched the charcoal pans, I'm running the snake method with lump coal now

Supco Type K therm... Still waiting on the meat probe, but it works well for the smoker temp.

Holds temps well.  Didn't take long to keep it steady, still fluctuates from 220-235 pretty heavily.  top vent nearly wide open most of the time, bottom two about 1/8 open.  I think it's partially due to me going with the flat oven gasket and riveting it on, it doesn't fit to well and needs to be forced on so there's some leakage going on.  Another reason may be, the tower isn't actually round, the lid didn't even fit with out a gasket when I opened it up.  I had to do a little flexing on it to get it somewhat round.

I got it 3 weeks ago, cooked a spatch cocked brined bird on it un modded, doh.  It wasn't bad though.  Finally finished my mods and am running my first real smoke now.

Cooking for one tonight, woman is helping her mom through surgery.  Friends all seem to be busy.

looks good. Welcome to the group! I'm using the more primitive Smoke N Grill Brinkmann and I'm working on a slick propane mod for mine right now. I have a thread going, check it out when you get a sec. 

What are those little devils wrapped in bacon? ABT's? How about some qview of the food after you smoked it? We all love lots of pics! 

Almost forgot- Most everyone keeps the top vent wide open while cooking and controls the temps with the bottom vents. 

Last edited:
Reactions: hardwater
Those are ABT's.  I haven't opened it since I started.  I will be opening in about 20 minutes and I'll snatch a couple pics quick.

Temps have been good, dipped down to 218 a little but that's okay over all I think.  

I would think the top should be full open normally, but my lid is leaking a little, so I attempted to compensate.  

Pics here shortly.

Oh yeah, a buddy showed up with on his dirt bike with some greens and beans, so I guess I'm making this for two now, no problem though, should have plenty.

Two hours in.  ABT's are done, ribs are at 145

ABT's were straight up amazing.  I wish I would of left some seeds, not quite hot enough for me.  I did the little smokey version, I could do with out those too.  They seemed a little out of place.  Mixed a little of Jeffs rub in the cream cheese with sharp cheddar, that part was perfect.  A little tweeking and they'll be spot on for my personal preference.  

No 3-2-1, I am not looking for fall off, I personally prefer pull off. Here in the next half hour I'm going to caramelize in sauce.

It's a fine smoker with these mods. Temp hold is right on snaking with my mods. My only complaints are my cooking

Any tips for mods. I put on a real gauge and raised the charcoal pan. I'm adding three dampers on the bottom and one on the top. Did you have to flatten the bottom dampers a little bit? I also have a gasket for the lid with glue. Are you using the minion method. I have the same smoker as yours. I have had some good results but I'm hoping with these mods it will get a lot better. I have been smoking for about six months so far.

I have been rolling with the snake method for charcoal. Im sure the minion in fine if you keep on top on the temps and vents.. As far as lower dampeners, I hammered them flat on the bottom and that seemed to work quite well.

Hey guys, if you are gonna do some mods, start a thread for them and take a lot of pics of what you are doing. I think there is more than one way to do everything and I think I have almost as much fun doing the mods as I do the actual food... Let me rephrase that... I like how much better the food is thanks to the mods. 

Reactions: hardwater
Round two today.  

I'm going to do some chicken and ribs.  Hopefully I do better this time on the ribs this time.  Maybe I'll break down and try to 3-2-1.

I'm sticking with Jeffs rub on the ribs.  Definitely going to mop this time.  I'm still reading up on mops, probably going to do some sort of cidar, vinegar and olive oil blend.

Temps were great.  I'll be sticking with the snake method and upping the wood.  I guess I'd better starting weighing it until figure out how much I want to use.

I'm still trying to come up with how I'm doing the chicken, but it's sitting in brine for now.

I have been rolling with the snake method for charcoal. Im sure the minion in fine if you keep on top on the temps and vents.. As far as lower dampeners, I hammered them flat on the bottom and that seemed to work quite well.
Hardwater, when you get a second can you explain the snake method? 

Hardwater;

How long did you cook the ribs yesterday and to what temp? They looked to me like they could have cooked just a tad more? Smoke ring looks ok, how were they eating wise? Keep making them, you'll get em the way you like 'em soon enough. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky