My Cowboy Beans for Chili

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cmichini

Original poster
Aug 31, 2015
The thought of beans and chili can often bring out more contentious arguments than religion or politics. To keep the peace, I make my chili without beans and make what I call Cowboy Beans that can be added as desired. It keeps the purists happy and allows those bean lovers to get what they want.

Cowboy Beans (for one 15 oz. can of beans)
1-2 slices of bacon - diced
1/2 small onion - diced
1 15 oz. can pinto beans
Chopped fresh - to taste
S&P - to taste

Brown bacon over medium heat
Add onion & cook until softened/translucent
Reduce heat to medium-low & add beans
Cook/heat beans 5-10 minutes to heat and let flavors mingle
Stir in cilantro & serve

I usually ladle some into the middle of the bowl. That allows me to have spoonfuls with & without the beans. Makes a good presentation, too.

Enjoy

Reactions: jcam222
I'd eat them with anything, not just Chili! I'm in the same boat. Only 2 in my house will eat Beans with Chili. I make it easy on myself. An hour or two into the Chili simmering, I ladle a couple of Cups of the sauce and Beef Fat, into my drained Canned Beans and let them cook, on low, until the desired doneness...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky