My Country Style Ribs, Smoked then Seared on BBQ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

heapomeat

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 5, 2008
Cold Damp Rainy Seattle
I have to admit, Jeffs spice rub is AWESOME on ribs, yummmmmmmmyyyyyyy.

So, country style big ol slabs of ribs Jeffs spice rub, smoked 'em for about 4 hours at only 125F for low and slow, then seared them on high heat on a BBQ to make a good crust on the meat while spritzing them with spiced apple cider juice.

Que view for you! Seared and crusty on the outside, pink and moist tender on the inside.
cool.gif

b5ea25cd_vbattach17634.jpg

556bab00_vbattach17633.jpg

542db0ab_vbattach17632.jpg

125 seems dangerously low for a cook temp to me! You sure you didn't mean 225?

Uh, captain Dan, please read the post..........low and slow, low temps, and slow cooking...........you finish the meat on the grill bbq to sear and cook the meat through.

So, what was your question again?

Danger Dave, open flame experimenter.........

I did read it!
icon_smile.gif
That's why I asked .
icon_exclaim.gif
icon_exclaim.gif

Usually people sear the meat first, then slow cook it.

But, hey, If it works for ya, then good job. It looks good!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Okay, rook to knight 4 (chess speak)

So you bring up a good point, slow smoke then sear, or sear then slow smoke?

I figure if you're searing and sealing in the juices of the meat, (then try to smoke), you're also sealing out the smoke?

Or like I did, do you slow smoke at low temps then sear, allowing the smoke to penetrate the meat, and then sear and seal the juices and smoke flavor in?

Open question for debate, I appreciate all inputs!!!

Good to bring it out in the open, heck, I'm no expert but am willing to learn!

I think most use searing to seal in juices to dry or lean meats, rump roast, sirloin, stuff like that. The country ribs that you showed us are just pork butts sliced up in 1 1/2- 2 inch strips, plenty of fat, lots of coonnective tissue. Thats why people use them( butts) for bbq, which is low and slow cooking. I wasn't saying that you did anything wrong. I just thought you might have made a typo with the temps. I haven't heard of anyone smoking pork at that low of a temp before. Fish, yes, but not pork. Heck , I might be missing out on something.

I do worry about food safety. When you take a piece of meat like pork and smoke/heat it for 4 hrs to 100-125 degrees,It could be dangerous for the bacteria, and other nasties. Maybe some one else has some input.

Don't take my replies the wrong way, just trying to look out for ya.
icon_smile.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky