My build's

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

2bears

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
OK ia have 2 builds started and I have a question - How high should the main cooking grate be off of the reverse flow plate?

I am thinking to cut a 20" door but am wondering about this height which will dictate the door size.

I should have enough room to allow about 9" - 10" between racks but really need to know how high the main grate needs to be from the reverse plate.

here is the patio cart/tank

fade8304_cart2.jpg

9a65aa5e_cart.jpg

The tank on the trailer will be started in a couple weeks. It is a 500 gallon and  will also be reverse flow and be mounted on that 6.5' x 12' trailer.

Last edited by a moderator:
My main grate is 4" bove the RF plate. It works great but I'm not sure if there is a reccommended distance. Hopefully someone with a little more know how will be along shortly. The links aren't working for me or maybe I could help more.

Here i s a good start, 11 hours into this build and we are about 98% finished. Started on Sunday evening and finished Monday afternoon

Just have to finish the "small stuff" - Burn out, install grates, paint, and finish the reverse flow plate ( its about 1/3 done) and do a cook as a test run.

What do you think?

13a48bf8_5001.jpg

1759cc31_500tlr.jpg

629f9ece_5003.jpg

10171419_5003.jpg

More to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here i s a good start, 11 hours into this build and we are about 98% finished. Started on Sunday evening and finished Monday afternoon

Just have to finish the "small stuff" - Burn out, install grates, paint, and finish the reverse flow plate ( its about 1/3 done) and do a cook as a test run.

What do you think?

5b23f85e_5001.jpg

e98eba7d_500tlr.jpg

dd0e9b3b_5003.jpg

f03281ed_5002.jpg

More to come.
Looking good

Last edited:
2bears-looks like you are off to a great start.

FWIW-I fixed the links in your posts so the pics would show.

I made my RF plate 4" below my door opening, which gave me 5" over the RF plate after installing my racks. I used 1" square tubing for my racks so i gained an inch.

It works Great!

Congrats on a nice build my friend!

I think 4 to 6 inchs is where its at.

Nice looking builds. I really like the looks of the trailer build.

Made some progress on both builds:

1st I welded in the RF plate on the 500 (no pic yet).

2nd I finally got the fire box welded up on the 120.

I an struggling on how to install the vents on the fire box as the ends are not cut (but may need to) so there is no flat surface to install a vent - Any ideas?

BTW the red fire box is 20 x 30" to give you a size comparison to the cook tank  which is 8 feet around and 43 or so inches long. She is a beast for a "patio" smoker and should really put out some Q for its size.

Dang it how do I get these pic links to work? I never have any trouble on any other sight posting a pic just this one. I always get a " do I want to allow acces to clip board" when I add pic links....

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/blackfoot123/120-4.jpg

Last edited:
Made some progress on both builds:

1st I welded in the RF plate on the 500 (no pic yet).

2nd I finally got the fire box welded up on the 120.

I an struggling on how to install the vents on the fire box as the ends are not cut (but may need to) so there is no flat surface to install a vent - Any ideas?

BTW the red fire box is 20 x 30" to give you a size comparison to the cook tank  which is 8 feet around and 43 or so inches long. She is a beast for a "patio" smoker and should really put out some Q for its size.

Dang it how do I get these pic links to work? I never have any trouble on any other sight posting a pic just this one. I always get a " do I want to allow acces to clip board" when I add pic links....

77ef6b34_120-4.jpg

4312def1_120-3.jpg

637a9149_120-4.jpg
Magic

use your insert images and post the image location and click submit

Looks good. I did have a question. What is the volume of the firebox to the tank. By looking at the picture it seems that you have put a undersized firebox on that tank? Im about to do a tank that is 400 gallons and it is supposed to have a firebox of 35"x35"x35"

I was wondering the same thing. Any concerns about the amount of fuel it will take to heat up the tank with that sized firebox?

Time will tell if it is big enough.

The guy that helped me build this has two 500 gallon tanks and he uses them almost every week end and his box is 27" tall by 20" wide and round without any issues, mine is 20" tall by 28" wide. We discussed this and from his experience he did think that it will be plenty big to run her steady at 225.  But hey if it doesnt keep up I can always put a bigger one on it. Both are close in square inches so it should be ok.

In post # 8 you can see one of his in the 3rd picture down at the top of the picture but is too far away to get a look at the box on his. Ill try and find a pic of his up close.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky