My build's

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I hope it is big enough so you dont have to do more work. I have used several calculators for pit design and they all say your is too small. Please let us know how it works when you burn it. Might save me from buying so much steel. 

I will, should have it fired up by next weekend. Going to burn it out this weekend.

Hey guys - still looking for vent ideas on the 120 that has the red 20 dia x 30 fire box. The ends are round so I am trying ti figure out how to add vents to the box.

Was thinking of a slide vent in lower front, any other ideas?

8b0e6315_120-3.jpg
11205e6c_120-4.jpg

The grates are not in yet, maybe Saturday they should be in.

Lets see a pic of the firebox open, I was going to suggest what Alelover posted, but need to see the inside.

If the grates not too low you can make a simple sliding vent. Ill see if I have a pic of my vent.

04e3aa1e_vent.jpg

Heres a pic before I drilled out the holes in the rear vent

14e4351a_2455181630041211880S600x600Q85.jpg

I will take a couple shots this weekend

I did the burn out on both tanks last night.

After about an hour and a half I checked the temps at both ends of the 500 gallon smoker and was very pleased that both ends were the same temp at 229 degrees ! The small fire box seemed to work fine.

I then loaded the whole cook chamber with firewood and let her go. It got cherry red and peeled most of the paint off and what is left should just peel off with a wire brush,

The exhaust stack in the 120 is not welded in place as it is just sitting on top of the wood/fire.

Also I just had to cook something so when the coals were right I put some sirloin steaks on them and had a wonderful meal too boot.

One more thing - I bought a weed burner from Home Depot cheapest in town at $49 which I thought was high as hell, but anyway that thing is amazeing fire starter ! I threw in just logs into the firebox (nothing was split) and no other small stuff other than a few 4" logs up to 10+ inch logs and hit it with the weed burner  - Instant fire. You can see from the burn out picture that the wood in the chamber is pretty big chunks and the firestarter got it going just like that ! Had to have a beer after that as it shocked me on how well it worked.

a9be7b56_229deg.jpg
e9186fd5_burn2.jpg
f8b1f43c_steak.jpg
9416f314_burn1.jpg

Last edited:
On your larger build, how far does your rf plate extend to from the end? How much of a gap did you leave near the curvature of the tank? I am getting ready to do a rf retrofit and that is the only thing I am not sure about. Is there a formula you used or did you just guess?

Last edited:
I think its about half way from the seam to the end of the tank. I don't think there is a magic gap size.

On your larger build, how far does your rf plate extend to from the end? How much of a gap did you leave near the curvature of the tank? I am getting ready to do a rf retrofit and that is the only thing I am not sure about. Is there a formula you used or did you just guess?

The gap should be the same amount of area as your firebox opening into the tank. It doesn't necessarily have to be the same shape though.

I measured the RF plate where it ends to the end of the tank in the domed end and it is at 9" and is over half way between the weld seam and the end of the tank.    I know some set the end about 6" or so.  I too think that it should be at least the size of the fire box opening or larger as you don't want to restrict the air flow.

The 500 is done but still needs paint. Finished the reverse flow plate, mounted the slide out grates and door trip. Also made door stops for it.

18a42cff_finishedsmoker.jpg
d7e01582_doorsopen.jpg
74bfbbc1_doorstop.jpg
1e3b121e_doorstop2.jpg
c21f9936_rfplate.jpg

The gap should be the same amount of area as your firebox opening into the tank. It doesn't necessarily have to be the same shape though.
Joel is right,Just use the same sq in at the end of the RF plate as the opening to the cook chamber.

Also use the same sq in in your stack, I made my stack longer than needed with a damper, So i could better regulate the draw threw the cook chamber.

Lookin good, Can't wait to see some Qveiw

I god the 500 painted and did a cook on it Sunday.

We did a turkey and a slab of ribs. The turkey turned out pretty good with a moist breast and thighs that fell off the bird. ^ hour cook with no foil. The ribs were absolutely fantastic ! but sorry for no rib pic.

Today I am cooking brisket hamburgers and a pile of trout. Will be using a charcoal insert for the trout and burgers.

925b6674_paint.jpg
e1cb4bb6_paint2.jpg
4552e89d_1stcook2.jpg
cea7f15b_1stcook3.jpg
275fe9e5_1stcook4.jpg
4f61cd4b_1stcook.jpg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky