• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

My bratwurst receipe

retread

Meat Mopper
Joined Aug 9, 2009
There have been a few posts, recently, about bratwurst so I figured I ought to share my recipe.  Sorry, no Qvue, but what I think is a heckuva good recipe.

First, the spice mix:

In a spice grinder, mix 1 tbsp whole peppercorns and 2 1/2 tsp of caraway seeds and grind them to medium powder.

Then add:

4 1/2 tsp (1 1/2 tbsp) thyme

4 1/2 tsp (1 1/2 tbsp) marjoram

1 tbsp nutmeg

4 1/2 tbsp ground garlic

2 tbsp salt

1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

and grind again in the spice grinder. 

Should make about 5 1/4 oz or so.

Now the meat mix

I use even weights of cubed veal meat and pork meat (I generally use veal shoulder chops and pork butt)

and then pork fat at about 1/2 the weight of either the pork or veal.

Make a note of the total weight of meat and fat.

Grind the meats together, basically 2 pieces of veal, 2 of pork and one of fat and push through the grinder and then repeat.

Mix 1/2 ounce of the spice mix per pound of meat/fat mix.  I like mine with a lot of the spice flavor!   Chill to almost frozen, and grind again.

Chill and stuff into hog casings.

Give it a try, it really works for me

ak1

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 23, 2010
Thanks for the recipe. I'll give it a try soon.

boykjo

Sausage maker
Staff member
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Apr 28, 2010
veal = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ used it and wish I can use it in all my sausage recipes but have to keep the cost down. No q veiwe it didnt happen. cant try a reipe made up without a trial run.  let us know how it turns out when you give it a try

miamirick

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 28, 2009
im gonna need some pics to get me on board

DanMcG

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 3, 2009
That sounds like a good tasting recipe Retread thanks for sharing it !

beer-b-q

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined May 1, 2007
Retread thanks for sharing your recipe with us... I copied it and may try it... 

retread

Meat Mopper
Joined Aug 9, 2009
@DanMcG and Beer-B-Q

You're welcome, folks, I hope you enjoy it.  Like I said, though, I really like the spice flavor so if you prefer yours milder, you might want to cut it down a little.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.