My Biggest Smoke Session Ever

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bagbeard

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 24, 2013
Scotland, Ontario, Canada
Well I'm on my way to my butcher to pick up 38 lbs of pork.  2 Large Boston Butts and 4-5 Butt Eye Roasts.  The Butt eye is something my butcher prepares and suggested I try it.  It is the 2 best muscles in the butt and picnic tied together.  No bone and less waste.  I'll be using my little charbroil silver offset and my 22.5 weber kettle.  I thought the roasts will work better in weber.  I plan on using serpentine method in the weber with my fav briquettes: Maple Leaf Natural Hardwood Briquettes. i will be smoking and freezing the pulled pork over the next few days and the event is on Saturday. Smoke is from Hickory and a blend of sour and sweet cherry wood.

Hope the weather gets a bit warmer as it is sitting around freezing mark right now, but at least its sunny and clear sky. Im setting up the weber to start this afternoon. 

wish me luck

Lots of pics to follow.

Happy Smoke!

Sounds like a lot of pork! I'm in there.

grilling_smilie.gif

Disco

i am going to freeze the meat i cook today and tomorrow. the rest i will just reefer it. I am serving Saturday.

was thinking that 3-4 days in reefer is a bit long.

i am going to freeze the meat i cook today and tomorrow. the rest i will just reefer it. I am serving Saturday.

was thinking that 3-4 days in reefer is a bit long.
I have seen beef in the supermarket with sell before dates more than 3 or 4 days in the future and all they do is refrigerate it. Look for a sell buy or best before date on the label.

Disco

i am not freezing the fresh meat, i know it is very fresh.  butcher gets it delivered and processes it today. 

I am talking about freezing the cooked meat. maybe this isnt needed?

Sounds like you have your hands full, That's a lot of meat, what is the occasion ?? 
popcorn.gif

Enjoy your smoke!!! Good luck
2thumbs.gif

This sounds like fun. By the way, I love to smoke when its cold! I'd rather smoke in Jan. than in Aug any day!

Just time to read over your notes on hot/warm alcohol drinks. Beer season is past.

Apple cider percolating thru a basket of red hots (candy) with a bit of rum added.....

Hot lemonade w/vodka

Hot Mulled wine (gets rid of the nasty stuff you were given over the year nicely)

Hot coffee and anything LOL

I hear that hot chocolate and that marshmallow vodka is good too!

You get the idea, you have changed into your winter clothes.... swap drinks too.

ive got one of those clay patio chimney 's ill set up near smoker.  its actually handy , keeps you warm and you can make charcoal for the smoker!

as far as hot drinks, those all sound yummy.  kinda broke so think i have to stick with coffee and tea. 

Well the meat is in.

2 boston butts and 3 butt eye roasts

Nice Butt! 9 3/4 lb

Butt eye roast.  Never tried before. the best 2 shoulder muscles tied together. less waste than a butt.  Lots of marbeling.

Set up for serpentine method.  have only tested it a couple of times in warmer weather.  having trouble getting up to temp.  may have to pull out the smokenator!

So i set up the weber for serpentine method. after an hour smoker only at 165 so had to change plans last minute. pulled out the smokenator and got it set up.  the only prob was the meat went on at 3:30. 

Heres the first butt-eye roast after 5 hours. IT at 164.  no stall to report thank goodness.

A lot different smoking in this weather.  Its currently -3C or 27F.  I started smoking in april this year and all my experimenting was with warm weather.

Pull on the coat, wrap up in a quilt, go sit in a lawn chair with a good drink and contemplate the stars! Make sure you sit downwind of the smoke.

I really like the look of that roast, I wonder about shrinkage?

Cube that up and make pork burnt ends...

Looks really good!

As a Canadian, living in the mountains, if you don't smoke in the cold, you are not a real smoker! I'm sure you know what I mean.

Disco

hasn't shrunk that much.  the picture makes it look smaller than it is.  im cooking a bit higher than usual, 130-150 .  ive read many post that do this .  i hope its ok.

hope i can go to bed not too late, gotta get up first thing and tackle one of those butts.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky