My Big RF!! It's gonna be Epic!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

akryan

Original poster
Dec 11, 2013
Wasilla, AK
Well, I got this tank for practically nothing so i figured I'd go big. From what I have read, there is kinda mixed emotions about cutting into a propane tank, but i had no problem.  I filled it with water, soap, and a few gallons of bleach.  This tank stinks!! Bad!! The bleach was to try to cut down on the smell but i couldn't tell a difference. So i filled it up on about the second week in Dec. then left for the Mother Land (Texas) and while i was gone we had this polar vortex thing in Alaska and it got to minus 20 or so for a few days.  Now i have a 500 gallon chunk of ice to deal with. I will start trying to get the ice out today the give the tank a good couple of burns. But here's my progress so far.

Looks like its off too a good start and that is definitely a big chunk of ice, on the bright side you shouldn't have a problem cold smoking in it.

Pretty big Pop Sickle  Where abouts in Texas ?   Maybe it will warm enough to work in it,

Gary S

I grew up in Deep East Texas, a little town called Joaquin but we spend most of our time now in Spring where my sister lives when we come visit. I live in Alaska now.

Last edited:
Well I finally got all the ice out. That was an unwanted back workout. A chainsaw, mini sledge, and a crowbar seemed to do the trick. I lit a fire in it last night and got it pretty hot, so I think one more fire and I should be good to go. My next step is the trailer. I'm trying to make up my mind between a single 5000lb axle or duel 3500 I've seen both. Here's some more pics.

Welcome to the forum. You and I are in the same neck of the woods, Im just off Mile 49 of the Parks. Only in AK do you see a frozen propane tank.

Hey Alaska, yea I live down KGB past Settlers Bay, all that ice wore me out.

Gary, I have been work on a side project for the build. I made an A-frame since i don't have a tractor or any way to raise the tank. I constructed it out of 2.5 and 3in pipe so i think that it will get the job done. i plan on starting on the trailer this week but we will see how that goes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky