My bestest jerky recipe ever

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chris_in_SoCal

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 18, 2012
SCV - So Cal
This is the recipe that people at work loved so much they would ask for more and even offer to buy the meat If I would please make it again.

I don't think anyone who has tried it has not liked it. I started with a 2.89 Lb chuck roast. I put it in the freezer for a couple hours to make it easier to run through the slicer.

best_jerky_001.jpg

best_jerky_002.jpg

Now the recipe:

1 white onion sliced
6 garlic cloves sliced thin
1 tablespoon of smoked papreka
1 tablespoon of chili powder
1 tablespoon of Kinder's The Blend (salt, pepper and garlic powder)
3/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 cups Stella Rosa Stella Rosso

best_jerky_003.jpg

I put it in a large ziplock bag and squeeze out as much air as possible. I let it sit in the refrigerator overnight and flip it a few times to marinate it evenly.

best_jerky_004.jpg

The next day I put only 5 per skewer to spread them out in the smoker. This helps to smoke them evenly.

best_jerky_005.jpg

I hang them in the smoker with 1 gallon of water in the pan.

best_jerky_006.jpg

I smoke using hickory pellets at 165* until I get the right feel. This batch took 6 hours.

best_jerky_007.jpg

I made some last week but it turned out too salty for me. This batch came out just right.

best_jerky_008.jpg

I've always wanted to attempt this myself, but never bring myself to doing it. They look great!! What kind of meat slicer is that? looks like a good option for a regular person that would use it occasionally.

Oh man, now that summer is coming gotta get out and start making jerky. This inspired me for sure. And I just got my teeth fixed so they won't break when i try and chew it😆

Corey

• Haha
Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
Great looking jerky. I could probably work my way through a pound or so with no problem.

Jim

Looks great, how thick did you slice the meat? Is there no cure #1 in this? I thought jerky needed some kind of cure.

Glad you enjoyed it. If you find eye of round on sale, that also makes great jerky. Much less fat. Bottom/top round would also work.

This is the recipe that people at work loved so much they would ask for more and even offer to buy the meat If I would please make it again.

I don't think anyone who has tried it has not liked it. I started with a 2.89 Lb chuck roast. I put it in the freezer for a couple hours to make it easier to run through the slicer.

View attachment 662274

View attachment 662275
Now the recipe:

1 white onion sliced
6 garlic cloves sliced thin
1 tablespoon of smoked papreka
1 tablespoon of chili powder
1 tablespoon of Kinder's The Blend (salt, pepper and garlic powder)
3/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 cups Stella Rosa Stella Rosso

View attachment 662276

I put it in a large ziplock bag and squeeze out as much air as possible. I let it sit in the refrigerator overnight and flip it a few times to marinate it evenly.

View attachment 662278

The next day I put only 5 per skewer to spread them out in the smoker. This helps to smoke them evenly.

View attachment 662277

I hang them in the smoker with 1 gallon of water in the pan.

View attachment 662279

I smoke using hickory pellets at 165* until I get the right feel. This batch took 6 hours.

View attachment 662280

I made some last week but it turned out too salty for me. This batch came out just right.

View attachment 662281
That looks great!

I make a jerky using wine and the tangy flavor from the win is amazing. I imagine yours has a lot of that same flavor.

As for salt if you go by weight of your meat I'm thinking 1.8% salt ( 0.018 x Meat Weight = amount of salt needed) would be a good place to try so you can adjust and nail the salt every time.
Once you figure out the percentage of salt to use you nail it every time.

Great job!

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
Looks great, how thick did you slice the meat? Is there no cure #1 in this? I thought jerky needed some kind of cure.
There is plenty of salt in the Worcestershire sauce, even more in the blend. It acts along with the smoking process as the cure.

Edit: I sliced it close to 1/8".

Last edited:
Reactions: clifish
Glad you enjoyed it. If you find eye of round on sale, that also makes great jerky. Much less fat. Bottom/top round would also work.
I have used both before but I think the chuck has a more even grain.

I did use the off cuts tonight along with a pasta dish that came out great. Win win.
meatandpasta.jpg

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky