my best ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johno

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 30, 2007
texas , queensland
i just cooked and ate the best ribs i have done so far . what i did different was first up i never wrapped in foil , or never used the 3-2-1 method , i just trimmed off a bit more fat than i normaly do then rubbed with mustard then put on some jeffs rub . then into the weber for a total of 5.25 hours , splashed some pineapple juice on them a few times through the cook smoke was provided by some small chunks of pecan.while they wee cooking i wanted a glaze couldnt find one quick enough but did find a few basic ideas , so i improvised, no super accurate measuring here into a pan went a good splash of red wine vin , a handfull of brown sugar , a few good blobs ( metric blobs ) honey, quite a few squirts ( imperial squirts ) of mustard , got that simmering along and tasted it , way to sweet , in went some more mustard but that didnt do the trick so i added a couple of spoonfulls of jeffs rub and a splash or 3 of tobasco , tasted again just needed a bit more tang so a good big splash of ketchup , tasted again and presto hey this is very good stuff , kept simmering then let it cool and it went very thick and sticky just what i wanted . 20 minutes befor the ribs were done painted it on one side only . and the wife thinks i am some sort of taste bud god or some thing . well she said they are my best so far ( but i think she is just glad she gets out of cooking ) did some taters cut into cubes in a foil pan in a dash of olive oil and some sage and rosemary, onion powder ,garlic salt, and a pinch of the rub .the glaze realy made the difference and i think not foiling .i did cover them loosely with foil after they were cooked ,to rest and cool a bit for half an hour
1f61629a_vbattach12420.jpg

f9189581_vbattach12419.jpg

Nice look'n ribs Johno! I had a similar experience, but I didn't glaze. I've been "foil'n" around w/foil for some time, this last rack I said poo on the foil. I don't think I'll foil again, it seamed too "hit or miss" for me, but then again I've only done them this one time w/out foil.

Nice job Johno!

Great job Johno. They look fantastic!! Man those are some thick looking ribs....looks like they left half the hog on them...lol

That's what I love about BBQ, so many folk's have different ways of doing things with great results, and let's face it that's what counts!!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Looking good there Johno job well done. I have to agree on the foil issue I dont care for the fall off the bone to tender for me I like a little knaw on the bone myself.

msmith , they did turn out almost fall off the bone , very very tender , but they had a better bark . i find they are a bit soggy when done in foil , even with the unfoiled last part of the cook .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky