My Apartment Balcony Garden

Discussion in 'Small Spaces' started by big twig, Jun 4, 2011.

1. big twig

big twig Smoking Fanatic

Realized there is some great green thumbs on the SMF, we all have so much in common. Here is my set up on my 14th (13th) floor apartment balcony. I grow peppers no matter where I live.

I use different colored straws to know what is what in the beginning. This year in the garden I have:

Scotch Bonnets - I make a lot of Jamaican food so this is a must have. - Orange Twisty Straw

Chocolate Habaneros - From Jamaica, great in BBQ sauces - Purple Twisty Straw

Jamaican Red Mushroom Pepper - great for salsas and many other things, similar to a Habanero - Yellow Straw

Peter Pepper - Cause they look funny and are good for hot sauces - Green Straw

Serrano - I use in a lot of Mexican cooking and chili - Orange Straw

Ghost chili - this was a gift from my brother, sold in a can kit, I don't think it will last, gonna try to transplant ASAP

Black Krim Heirloom Tomato - I love Heirlooms - Pink Straw

Super Sweet Cherry Tomato - Great in salads - Blue Straw

I haven't started the herbs since I have been really busy and lazy but I am growing:

Thyme

Rosemary

Basil

Oregano

I germinated in plastic cups in top of my fridge, then transferred to the pots. Here they are in the pots. the pictures go up to a couple of days ago through progression.

Realized one pot doesn't have a straw, so the green pot is a heirloom tomato.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have another Scotch Bonnet going in the pot with the other one I just have not had a good germination rate on the seeds.

Thanks for looking!

2. Now then Big Twig Those plants of yours look nice and Healthy roll on Harvest time especially for the chilli's.

A nice view from your Apartment as well. From My roof terrace   i look onto  the start of a mountain range, Blue sky and

the Pan tiles of Old Spanish houses.

Keep up the good work

3. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Nice Plants...

4. big twig

big twig Smoking Fanatic

Thanks! Sounds like you have an amazing view!

5. big twig

big twig Smoking Fanatic

Thanks!

6. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Looks awesome I am trying some Scotch Bonnet's for the first time this year

7. big twig

big twig Smoking Fanatic

I love them. I was having a hard time finding them so I had a friend send me a bunch of seeds from Jamaica (that's why I am growing so many Jamaican peppers). They have the kick similar to Habaneros but I feel like they have a better flavor. Good luck on your grow!

8. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Looking great, I'm a chili head myself. This is the first year I've been able to get ghost peppers to grow, been trying for about 5 now. I started with 10 and am down to two. There very hard to grow by the way. 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. mco

mco Smoke Blower

great looking plants,I like em hot but not that hot

10. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Big Twig, Evening.

Are there insects that fly that high to polinate you veggies? That is nose-bleed country.

You couldn't get my bride out on that patio for anything.

I think your garden is beautiful. No weeding. Warm and sunny. I would sit out in that garden and have a brewski every evening.

Dave

11. big twig

big twig Smoking Fanatic

Yeah I figured that they must be tough to grow. My brother has 2 plants in his kit but they aren't growing very well. These kits have several seeds obviously in the hopes that one will grow. The only reason I was growing the ghosts is because it was a gift or I would've ordered from a reputable seed dealer. Your plant looks great though!

12. big twig

big twig Smoking Fanatic

Thanks! I have grown my chili addiction over the years.

13. big twig

big twig Smoking Fanatic

Thanks, I used to pollinate myself but now I made friends with 3 different bees. It's funny cause I know the 3 very well that come pollinate for me. As soon as it got warm they kept coming to my balcony several times a day like were the heck are the plants, I remember this place. Chili peppers are easy to pollinate yourself anyway. A couple of weeks ago some trees or something had cotton ball seeds floating up to my balcony and beyond and sure enough I had to weed like crazy. Plants try to sneak in no matter where you are. Oh and brews all of the time while the electric grill is going (apartments only let you have electric).

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  14. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Great looking plants man. The balcony must be pretty good size to hold all of them

15. michael ark

michael ark Master of the Pit

Looks great.I here you about the bugs.My deck is only 15' off  the ground .But the bugs always find me.Something has ate all the leafs off my pepper sprouts.

16. big twig

big twig Smoking Fanatic

Thanks! Yeah I have a pretty good size balcony but it does limit what and how much I can grow. I try to do what I can.

17. big twig

big twig Smoking Fanatic

Thanks! The only real bug problem I have is the ever going battle with stink bugs. I keep a squirt bottle with water and shoot them off the plants and off the balcony. They still come back but that's about all I can do. I hate stink bugs!

18. mco

mco Smoke Blower

Stink bugs now thats funny, I wondering if we have any bugs left at all around here.I havent seen a bee or anything that flys in over a week now, That fire in Arizona has us covered in smoke for almost 2 weeks now and no end in sight.

19. big twig

big twig Smoking Fanatic

Brown marmorated stink bugs are a real problem in the Mid-Atlantic region. They love to destroy crops and there is no solution to getting rid of them except a parasitic wasp that is native to Asia as the stink bugs are. The government hasn't decided to let the wasps into the wild yet but I hope they do at some point in the near future.

Sorry about the fire, I really hope they can get it under control soon.

20. realtorterry

realtorterry Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

outstanding where do you fit the smoker without disturbing those litlle jewels. Choclate hab's? Are they sweeter?