My 1st smoked turkey!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Missed this Ryan.
Congrats on the feature ride on the carousel. Well deserved for a great cook.
I always mix my veggies in the mashers.
Where was the dressing (stuffing)? My family expects dressing even when I do spatch cock chicken.
We don't eat turkey. Other is trying to collect enough drippings to make gravy

Puppies are so much fun .. when they go to other people. Reminds me of infants after I hit 60 ... 50 ?.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Missed this Ryan.
Congrats on the feature ride on the carousel. Well deserved for a great cook.
I always mix my veggies in the mashers.
Where was the dressing (stuffing)? My family expects dressing even when I do spatch cock chicken.
We don't eat turkey. Other is trying to collect enough drippings to make gravy

Puppies are so much fun .. when they go to other people. Reminds me of infants after I hit 60 ... 50 ?.
Thank you! Was honored to make the carousel! I never even thought about stuffing until it was too late...would have been really good with the meal! My wife doesn't care for it so could've been all mine!

Ryan

Thanks Brian! Will do for sure!

Ryan

Thank you! Was honored to make the carousel! I never even thought about stuffing until it was too late...would have been really good with the meal! My wife doesn't care for it so could've been all mine!

Ryan
Funny. My wife expects dressing with a poultry meal. The only time she wants gravy is for dressing, not the mashers.

Excellent looking bird you did - yes sir. I remember I was nervous as all heck on my first attempt.

Point for sure
Chris

Excellent looking bird you did - yes sir. I remember I was nervous as all heck on my first attempt.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris! It turned out really good! But thanks to this forum I wasn't worried...but it helped it was free and wasn't for anything special so there was no pressure!

Ryan

Our son was given a 10 1/2 lb turkey from work and he wanted it out of his freezer... so we obliged. It was already enhanced so we removed the backbone...saved to make stock , and injected it using creole butter, then into the fridge for an overnight rest in fridge to dry the skin. Really wanted to smoke it on my 22" kettle but thought it might be a little tight on space so decided to forego that idea and use my big fridge smoker. Got smoker going and took turkey out, rubbed skin with olive oil then some poultry seasoning and some Iowa flavor enhancer.

View attachment 489290

Turkey, along with toes!

View attachment 489291

Smoker ran about 275 to 300. Used pitmasters choice in amnps. This is about an hour in I believe. View attachment 489292

Believe it took about 2 1/2 to 3 hours, wasn't paying that close of attention. Pulled when breast hit 160.

View attachment 489293

Skin was a little tough which I expected at those temps so ended up removing it and saved it for stock also. Served up with mashed taters, gravy and sweet corn. It turned out excellent! Breast was nice and juicy!

View attachment 489294

That's as good as my plating gets for this ole farm boy! And yes, right after that pic the corn got mixed in with the taters and gravy! Also made some creamed turkey over mashed taters. And yes, there are mashed taters under there!

View attachment 489295

Will definitely be smoking more turkeys! Just have to throw in a couple pics of dad's new puppy...she's such a little darling! Golden lab, pit bull mix.

View attachment 489296
View attachment 489297

Thanks for stopping by!

Ryan
Looks amazing! What's creamed turkey? My wife always wants lot's of leftovers, so looking for good ideas!

Looks amazing! What's creamed turkey? My wife always wants lot's of leftovers, so looking for good ideas!
Thank you! Creamed turkey is basically just making a roux with flour and butter then adding some milk and small pieces of leftover turkey so it makes a cream sauce. This can be served over mashed taters or toast. The same can be done with leftover chicken. Good way to use up leftovers!

Ryan

Reactions: Crambone1812
Sorry late on this Ryan I've been out of town. But what a great looking post puppy and all. May be your first turkey but for sure not your last.

Warren
Thanks Warren! Was really happy how it turned out! And yes, puppy is a darling! Good thing dad only lives a mile away so we can visit often! Thank you for the like, I appreciate it!
Hope you enjoyed your trip!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky