My 1st post here. Wondering about smoking bacon.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

caaront

Original poster
Oct 5, 2010
I live in a small town and have limited resources. So I am going to have to use sliced bacon, as thickly sliced as I can get it.

I have been smoking so far at about 225, will that work for the bacon?

Do I cook the bacon all the way, or just long enough to give it a smoky flavor?

I ordered some applewood.

Thank you and sorry for being so new at this, so please go easy on me and forgive any foolish questions.

I use an electric box smoker with a front door on it.

Thank you, Aaron

Welcome to the forums Aaron  , Are           

Are you asking if you can add smoke to thick sliced store bought bacon? Why not!

You don't want to use high temp's for this as it will melt the fat and you'll end up with cooked bacon.

I'd cold or warm smoke it, and keep the smoker temp below 120° and smoke it till you get the color you're looking for.

Put the bacon on with a lot of draft so it will dry the moister off the surface of the bacon, once it's dry add the smoke till it looks good, maybe an hour or so, then let it cool over night in the frig. This will help develop the smoke flavor. then fry it up and enjoy. Let us know how it works out for ya.

You might want to consider ordering a slab of belly and cure your own.   it's really very easy

Aaron, Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Aaron to SMF.  I would have to agree with everything that Dan told you about your bacon. He has done it quite a few times and I have used his brain a few times on my firsy couple of runs with bacon too. Next time hit him up for some of his sausage making knowledge too. You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction  

Thank you very much, and I think I will take the course.

Welcome to SMF Aaron.  A lot of good people here.  Ask Questions and when you can post pictures  of your Smokes and have fun!!

Welcome aboard, Carront.  Good to have ya.

Follow Dan's advice and you'll be good on the bacon.

Awesome looking job on the ribs and brisky!

Nice lookin' ribs!

Brisket looks better when you cut it open for us to see the inside---MMMMmmmmmm.........

Dan gave you good info on smoking store bought Bacon.

After awhile, when you're ready to cure & smoke your own Bacon, just do a search on this forum for all kinds of info, or if you want an easy "Step by Step", just click on "Bacon" in my signature, at the bottom of every one of my posts.

Bearcarver

Thank you, y'all are a great group of folks here, I already feel at home.

Welcome Caaront. Glad to have you here and we look forward to seeing more of your posts. I agree with Dan and really suggest you get some bellies and cure and smoke your own bacon. It will be the best bacon you will ever have. For tutorials go to Forums and scroll down to Bacon and read away

Good luck 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky