My 1st Chuckie.....what a day!!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lspilot82

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
Lakeland Florida
Well guys after posting my other thread, I, with help of you guys have decided to do a chuck roast. So I awoke early this morning and set out on a mission to find the perfect chuckie. I was looking for one that wasnt to little and one that wasnt to expensive since im on a budget. My 1st two stops were at two local meat markets here in town....surprisingly both places had them for $3.89 lb, which I though was kinda high, so I went on to Winn Dixie thinking they might be on sale....well I thought wrong. There they were $4.99 lb, but since I had a Winn Dixie card I would save about $1.00 a lb...so i said screw it and bought it.....anyway I brought her home, rubbed her down with just a few spices and a little bit of sugar and on to the smoker she went...here are the pics.
f6bb4c74_chuckie1.jpg
317b05be_Chuckie2.jpg
06b240d8_chuckie3.jpg

Well guys after 5 hrs the temp of the chuckie is only 156 degrees. So since everyone is hungry Ive decided to go ahead and wrap it up in foil and finish it up in the oven at 300....will this make a difference since its foiled and it wont get anymore smoke anyway?

I am interested in the answer as well, thanks Guys

Well guys everything came out pretty good...not as moist as I would like and I think a brisket wouldve been better. Sorry for no money shots I forgot to take pics. I used the pulled chuckie for enchiladas and we are about to dig into them any moment.

One thing you have to remember is there are seven types of chucks.

http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatBeefChuck.html

I was always told a Chuck Loin or Chuck Underblade to be the easiest to pull, but have had luck with the 7 bone Chucks (picked one up from WD today $2.62 a lb. Normally $4.49. Couldn't pass it up. I have had chucks, depending on size take anywhere from 4 1/2 to 6 1/2 hours. Some different types pull well, some only partially and some hardly at all. I have also found that wrapping and taking it to 210º seems to make the pulling process easier.

Last edited:
I love chuckies in any form. We always put a pan of beef broth under them and defat it at the end of the smoke or the next day. You can use it for anything. We use it for French Dips and gravy and in soups and stews.

Ya sorry about not having any Qview....my phone died and I couldnt find my charger, I ended up having to go buy a new one. Anyway the enchiladas turned out awesome...ill be doing them again real soon.

I don't know if I'm an oddball or if others also enjoy smoking them a lot less done then the 205* pull temps that seem so popular. I did one a few weeks ago that actually had some pink in it and it was amazing. The texture and flavor was wonderful! Maybe I was just lucky with  nice piece of meat but I have done this several times and so far so good.

I tried my first brisket yesterday and it was less then spectacular. Good flavor but dry. It seemed to hit a stall from hell and went way past the expected coking time. To make things worse I let the water pan go dry. Even so the flavor is good. I've been eating it as finger food and it has a jerky / slim Jim quality that is growing on me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky