My 1000th POST!! Butter tender Pastrami in FOUR HOURS! (with BEAR-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mdboatbum

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 22, 2011
Washington, DC
Got an extra corned brisket point last week during the St. Patrick's day sale.

Did one for traditional boiled corned beef, but saved one for the smoker. It was 3.58lbs.

Soaked it in fresh water for 18 hours, changing it out twice. It was nicely marbled.

Had a nice fat cap. Seasoned with cracked black pepper, cracked coriander,  Kosher salt

and the little sachet of pickling spice that came in the cryovac.

Used 5 chunks of cherry, as I was going for hot and fast and wanted a good kiss of smoke.

The leftover coals from the last smoke are in the bottom.

Fired up the "Weber Marshmallows"

Had to shield the chimney as the wind kicked up a bit.

15 minutes and we're ready to go.

Half chimney of lit briqs on top of another half chimney of unlit, with a well in the center.

Thick white smoke at the start.

Then we got to temp...

Put the meat on...

And as if by magic, the smoke began to thin and turn a curious shade of blue!

Then about an hour in it pretty much disappeared, but I could still smell that lovely aroma.

At precisely 4 hours and 3 minutes the IT hit 185˚f. I'd forgotten the aluminum foil, so I had to run up to the apartment to grab it. By the time I got back, it was 192˚.

After a 20 minute rest (we couldn't wait), it looked like this.

A good friend who grew up eating Katz's pastrami in NYC tasted it, cocked his head, and quietly uttered one word I was very happy to hear:

"Butter".

I gotta say, I was a bit nervous, having never done Pastrami before. I didn't want it quite as tender as brisket, but didn't want it rubbery. I was originally planning to pull it at 175˚, but thankfully Chef Jimmy advised me to go above 180˚. I was a little leary, as I really didn't want it TOO tender, but he's never steered me wrong, and this hit the mark. It's the EXACT texture I wanted. Melt in your mouth tender, but not mushy or falling apart. Unctuous but not greasy. I don't mean to sound boastful, though I am very pleased with the way this turned out. I couldn't have done it without all the advice and Q-views depicting the process right here on the SMF forums.

Only gripe I have is it's a bit salty. I probably should have soaked it another day. It's not terrible, but has a little room for improvement in that area.

I was EXTREMELY pleased that it was done in 4 hours. Temp averaged 300˚ the whole time.

Reactions: redclaymud
I think you should be boastful! That is some juicy looking strami!!!! Glad it came out just how you wanted!

Hot and fast on strami.....hmmmmm...I've kicked up the temp on pork but have been wary with beef.....you have grown my confidence in trying it!!!

As far as the salinity, try more water changes more often other than adding another day. I think once the salt leaches out in the water more time doesn't really help like fresh water will. Did you do a fry test before smoking? That is a real good way to check salinity before cooking.

Again, that is some Awesome looking strami!!!!

A good friend who grew up eating Katz's pastrami in NYC tasted it, cocked his head, and quietly uttered one word I was very happy to hear:

"Butter".
Are you sure he didn't say "buttah"?  
biggrin.gif

Either way, that sure looks like a winner. 

As far as the salinity, try more water changes more often other than adding another day. I think once the salt leaches out in the water more time doesn't really help like fresh water will. Did you do a fry test before smoking? That is a real good way to check salinity before cooking.

Thank you for the advice, I'll definitely try that next time. As for the hot and fast, I wasn't completely sure but figured I'd give it a shot. Not sure I'd try it with a lean flat, but this point was really well marbled so I figured I had a little leeway. Most of the marbling rendered down nicely, and the fat cap cooked down to that lip smacking fat like you get on a good strip steak. Again, not greasy at all, but melty and quite tasty.

That looks great....love strami this way.  Not going to buy it anymore...will make my own.

Yummmm! 
drool.gif

Kat

Looks Great! I love the Corned Points for Pastrami. Dave gave good advice, I would reconsider adding Salt to your rub too. I have found that even with a good soaking there is still plenty of salt in the meat and salt in the rub may take it too far. I am glad you were happy with the texture and I even like it cold on a sandwich...JJ

Looks Great! I love the Corned Points for Pastrami. Dave gave good advice, I would reconsider adding Salt to your rub too. I have found that even with a good soaking there is still plenty of salt in the meat and salt in the rub may take it too far. I am glad you were happy with the texture and I even like it cold on a sandwich...JJ
The texture was great, and after being in the fridge for a few hours, it's really firmed up like good deli Pastrmi. Still moist, and easy to slice paper thin.

Thanks for all the advice! I'll definitely skip any additional salt next time. I'm kinda pissed as this was so close, but there's always that one little detail. Aaarggh!! But it's convinced me to try again. And again...and again...

good job.  gonna put a couple in the smoker today.  timer is gonna be the nascar race then check temp. 

Just tried this one again this past weekend. Changed out the water several times during the soak and the saltiness was greatly reduced. However, I totally overcooked it. Ugh. It was a weird cut, partially point but mostly flat, and I couldn't quite gauge when the flat portion was done. Ended up waiting it out but for too long, it was dry and crumbly. Oh well, live and learn.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky