Mustard...

Discussion in 'For New Members' started by glazin, Jan 28, 2016.

1. glazin

glazin Newbie

Mix up of brown and yellow compared to yellow for rub on pork butt,Is there a big taste difference when the meat is completed,smoked

2. lamar

lamar Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

The majority of smokers say they can not taste mustard after the meat is smoked. I am one of them.

Lamar

glazin likes this.
  3. eman

eman Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member

I mix yellow mustard and molasses . i can taste a bit of sweet but no mustard

glazin likes this.
  4. joe black

joe black Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I never taste any mustard on my pork after smoking.

5. jayace

jayace Smoke Blower

I can't ever taste the mustard either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

100% Brown Mustard has a more pronounced taste. Mixed you may barely taste it...JJ

7. drewed

drewed Meat Mopper

I have found that I don't need the mustard at all.  The rub stick to the meat just fine with out it.

8. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Mustard is just the glue that holds the rub on. Ideally you like to see the rub get a wet look before you put the meat it in the smoker. So letting it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours wrapped in plastic wrap will do that. You can accomplish this with olive oil too. It just seems that mustard is the easiest way to keep the rub on, without changing the final taste. Maybe you should try a taste test. Use brown & yellow on one end of a rack of ribs & just yellow on the other. See if you can tell a difference.

Al