Must-have Mods for GOSM BB

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fishinfarmer

Original poster
Dec 21, 2010
South Georgia
I'm getting a new Landmann 3605 (which I'm pretty sure is the old GOSM BB) for Christmas from my mother-in-law...beat that!  I have some experience with smoking, but none with the BB.  I've been checking out some of the mods that y'all have made, and I'm wondering which ones do you feel are the most necessary or useful...adding needle valve, lowering the smoke tray, etc.  Thanks, looking forward to your input.

I've not done any to my Big Block and have never had any complaints on any thing I've smoked! I think it's great just as it is...

icon_cool.gif

Now I have a gosm small block and a smokevault 24" the only difference that I know of is the cabinet is bigger. Other then that I haven't add any difficulty smoking in the bigger vault unit.

Last edited:
Mod's?  Well, I guess you could call mine a FrankenBB.  Needlevalve?  Absolutely necessary if you want to be able to fine tune the flame BUT some BB flame controls will decrease the flame if you rotate slowly from high back to off.  I understand that not all BB's will do this.    One caution if you add this mod.  You must keep an eye on the flame if you have it choked down to just a minute flame, the wind could blow it out and of course, we don't want that.  Then there was the window in the door.  That works out just great if you like to keep an eye on the smoking.  Be sure to have good glass scraper (the razor blade type) to remove the smoke residue.  Then there's the char grill side box I added for smoke generator experiment.  Reasonable success on that.  Now I'll be using it to hold my AMNS smoke generator so my sawdust doesn't go puff when I'm hot smoking.  Let me see if I can dig up a couple of pictures for you.  Here we are:

e2c8aeb6_DSC00228.jpg

Oh, and then there was the rib-o-later mod that you see in the upper chamber.  In the window to the left in the lower right corner, you can see the needle valve mod and then of course, I just had to put on one of those cobbled together, left over pieces from other shelving units, it's own roll around rack.  And I think the best, and quickest mod you can make is to replace your GOSM smoke box that hopefully came with the unit  with a 10" cast iron skillet, fits perfectly in it's spot and the handle makes removal easier, until you discover the joys of the AMNS.    I'm still scrounging around for a cast iron lid for the skillet that I can drill some holes in to keep the smoke wood from catching fire.  Yes, it's been fun.  Hey, it's a work in progress.  Could I smoke meat satisfactorily without the mod's?  Sure, but what would the fun be in that?  Next mod is a double hitch point carrying platform on the end of my 26 foot Travel Trailer, so I can take this baby on the road.  I have a smaller GOSM for the road but it cramps my style.

Actually, I learned all these neat things, right on this site.  I'm just paying it forward.  Other people came up with ideas, I just put them all in one place.  Well, adding the rib-o-later was my idea.  The rib-o-later looks like it was intended for a drum or UDS style smoker.  Just couldn't see having a GOSM style smoker that didn't have a rotisserie function.  One of these day's I'm going to smoke some game hens on that rotisserie.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky