MULE'S SMOKED CHEESE IN THE DELUXE UDS WITH AMNPS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So Mrs. Bear cleans your meat grinder and meat slicer, washes your smoking racks, and holds your hand in the hospital for 28 straight days. That kind of thing brings tears to my eyes!  What a good woman.
Yes she does & yes she is.

Bear

Mule----Sorry for stepping on your post.

Hi David, your cheeses looks great, can I ask is  Monterey Pepper Jack the same cheese that you used?  I can get Monterey Jack cheese over here and would assume it's Pepper Jack without the peppers?  I have some Wookey Hole cave aged Cheddar and would like to smoke a few other varieties too.

Gary.

Hi David, your cheeses looks great, can I ask is  Monterey Pepper Jack the same cheese that you used?  I can get Monterey Jack cheese over here and would assume it's Pepper Jack without the peppers?  I have some Wookey Hole cave aged Cheddar and would like to smoke a few other varieties too.

Gary.
Some of what I smoked is Pepper jack. Don't know anything about the Monterey. Then i smoke Cheddar mozzarella Swiss and lots of others.

Happy smoken.

David

I tried my first smoking of Provalone and Cougar Gold Chedder last year. I was told never to smoke it over 2 hours! I saw very little color change so I pulled equal parts of the cheese at 4, 6, 8 & 12 hours. Tried it a few days later and thought about tossing the whole bunch. Tasted it too soon! Instead I let it sit vacuum packed in my refridgerator for 6 months and it was amazing. It just needed time for the smoke to migrate through the cheese! My friends went nuts over it. I'll be smoking up a variety in a few weeks when the night time temp is supposed to be in the 40's.

I tried my first smoking of Provalone and Cougar Gold Chedder last year. I was told never to smoke it over 2 hours! I saw very little color change so I pulled equal parts of the cheese at 4, 6, 8 & 12 hours. Tried it a few days later and thought about tossing the whole bunch. Tasted it too soon! Instead I let it sit vacuum packed in my refridgerator for 6 months and it was amazing. It just needed time for the smoke to migrate through the cheese! My friends went nuts over it. I'll be smoking up a variety in a few weeks when the night time temp is supposed to be in the 40's.
It is hard to beat smoked cheese. I never run out around here.As soon as it cools off some I'll start smokeing more

Post some pics of yours when you get a chance.

Happy smoken.

David

Hey Mule .....

You are definitely " The Man "  ......You inspired me big time. My mouth was watering looking at your pictures.  I really want to give some smoked cheese as Christmas gifts to some friends and family so I thought I'd do a test run........ 

I tried smoking some Mild and sharp cheddar and some mozzarrella and pepper jack the other night when it was cool. It only got up over 90 degrees one time but I caught it right away so there was no melting. I smoked with soaked hickory chips 2 1/2 hours. I usually use Pecan on everything. The cheese basic color was only darkened a tiny bit.  I hope the taste gets better after the two week aging process . The wife and I tried a taste before I vacuum sealed them and they all tasted like you had licked an ash tray. 
confused.gif

Oh please tell me that is normal Doctor ....... 

Sorry I didn't take time for a picture ..... Thanks 

Hey Mule .....

You are definitely " The Man "  ......You inspired me big time. My mouth was watering looking at your pictures.  I really want to give some smoked cheese as Christmas gifts to some friends and family so I thought I'd do a test run........ 

I tried smoking some Mild and sharp cheddar and some mozzarrella and pepper jack the other night when it was cool. It only got up over 90 degrees one time but I caught it right away so there was no melting. I smoked with soaked hickory chips 2 1/2 hours. I usually use Pecan on everything. The cheese basic color was only darkened a tiny bit.  I hope the taste gets better after the two week aging process . The wife and I tried a taste before I vacuum sealed them and they all tasted like you had licked an ash tray. 
confused.gif

Oh please tell me that is normal Doctor ....... 

Sorry I didn't take time for a picture ..... Thanks 
Glad to hear you gave it a smoke. It will be much better with age. It takes time to mellow. Your right on the taste right out of the smoker.

Let me know what you think after the rest.

Happy smoken.

David

OK David, I'm not sweating bullets any longer thinking I ruined a bunch of cheese. Now I'll bide my time for about two weeks and do a taste test. Hopefully it will be good stuff and I can start  making plans to smoke some up in October for Christmas gifts....... I'll try to remember to report back on how it turned out. Thanks a bunch ......... Bill

OK David, I'm not sweating bullets any longer thinking I ruined a bunch of cheese. Now I'll bide my time for about two weeks and do a taste test. Hopefully it will be good stuff and I can start  making plans to smoke some up in October for Christmas gifts....... I'll try to remember to report back on how it turned out. Thanks a bunch ......... Bill
Your going to love it

David

after a little over 3 hours.

after 3 hours

after 3 hours

after 3 hours

1AMNPS burnt out in about 3 hours 15 min.

after 3 hours

after 3 hours

after 3 hours

all packaged up

all packaged up

the pics don't show the color change as much as it changed. it has nice color. i'm sure the pics would have turned out better if i could have just go it to say "CHEESE"
th_HaHAAHaa.gif

it is now in for it's rest in the fridge.

happy smoken.

David

remember everybody it's hard to cold smoke at 100 deg outside. smoke up before it gets hot.
Good lookin' stuff. Bought some more sale stuff, with what are you doing eyes from wife. Will get some more. Waiting for that next sale for more. Hoping for 60* night.
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky