MULE'S SMOKED CHEESE IN THE DELUXE UDS WITH AMNPS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

themule69

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
i just noticed it is May 3rd and it snowed in Arkansas. WOW snow in Arkansas. then i remembered it will be hot soon. it is hard to cold smoke when it is 100 deg. so it is time for more cheese before it gets hot. I don't want to run out of smoked cheese. I am using 1 row of pitmaster dust and 1 row of apple pellets in my UDS.  notice the racks have never been hot smoked on. that way their are no dark grill marks, here are a few pics of the smoke.

5# cheddar. 2.5# pepper jack, 1# Swiss

getting the AMNPS going

cheddar cut in chunks.

cheddar, Swiss and pepper jack cut in chunks

all in the UDS with the AMNPS TBS. note the smoke box for

the AMNPS bottom right.

it is 39 deg outside. thought i was going to have to build a fire to cold smoke. more pics to come.

happy smoken.

David

Last edited:
icon14.gif

Your right, need to smoke some cheese before it gets hot around here
x2

Lookin' good, David!  With all the weather and temp extremes we've had in our part of the country, you know we'll be having a hot one this summer.  Love the smoked cheese...smoked pepper jack is our favorite!

Red

Nice Job, David!!!

Love smoked cheese!!!

Bear
Thanks Bear. gotta have smoked cheese.
icon14.gif

Your right, need to smoke some cheese before it gets hot around here
Yup better smoke some soon or it will be ice in the smoker to keep it cool.
Lookin' good, David!  With all the weather and temp extremes we've had in our part of the country, you know we'll be having a hot one this summer.  Love the smoked cheese...smoked pepper jack is our favorite!

Red
Thanks Red. it may be to cold to cold smoke in June and July the way this year is going.

after a little over 3 hours.

after 3 hours

after 3 hours

after 3 hours

1AMNPS burnt out in about 3 hours 15 min.

after 3 hours

after 3 hours

after 3 hours

all packaged up

all packaged up

the pics don't show the color change as much as it changed. it has nice color. i'm sure the pics would have turned out better if i could have just go it to say "CHEESE"
th_HaHAAHaa.gif

it is now in for it's rest in the fridge.

happy smoken.

David

remember everybody it's hard to cold smoke at 100 deg outside. smoke up before it gets hot.

Nice cheese David. Love that smokey bit of heaven on a cracker or in recipes. Wish I had gotten in a last cheese smoke before it turned hot here. My supply has dwindled down faster than I thought it would (thanks to my daughter). If you haven't tried smoking some Dubliner cheese give it a try. More of a crumbly texture but very good. I do it with peach. Enjoy that great looking cheese!!!

Steve

Nice cheese David. Love that smokey bit of heaven on a cracker or in recipes. Wish I had gotten in a last cheese smoke before it turned hot here. My supply has dwindled down faster than I thought it would (thanks to my daughter). If you haven't tried smoking some Dubliner cheese give it a try. More of a crumbly texture but very good. I do it with peach. Enjoy that great looking cheese!!!

Steve
Thanks for the kind words Steve. i bet you couls still get in a cold smoke. you might have to do it after dark ar add some ice.

happy smoken.

David

Might be able to "sneak" one final one in. A couple days coming up it's supposed to have a low of about 66* and I have a few small frozen bottles of water. Can also toss the cheese in the freezer just long enough to bring the temp down. Looking at your pics is like twisting my arm buddy.
icon_lol.gif

Steve

Last edited:
Hi David,

Great post on cheese smoking!  I appreciate the clear step-by-step, and also the tibdbit about keeping a rack clean by not hot smoking on it.  I didn't realize the hot smoking is what built up the creosote on the racks.  Good info, and I'll keep a rack in reserve just for the cold smoking from here out.

Have a great weekend!

Clarissa

Might be able to "sneak" one final one in. A couple days coming up it's supposed to have a low of about 66* and I have a few small frozen bottles of water. Can also toss the cheese in the freezer just long enough to bring the temp down. Looking at your pics is like twisting my arm buddy.
icon_lol.gif

Steve
be care full about freezing. that causes 2 problem. the cheese crumbles and it doesn't take on the smoke as well. they say opening the smoker is bad. but remember it lets heat out. so you might have to let some smoke go to drop the temp.

happy smoken.

david

be care full about freezing. that causes 2 problem. the cheese crumbles and it doesn't take on the smoke as well. they say opening the smoker is bad. but remember it lets heat out. so you might have to let some smoke go to drop the temp.

happy smoken.

david
Thanks David. I wouldn't freeze the cheese, just in long enough to drop the temp about 5* or so. This would allow it to stay in the smoke a bit longer.

Hi David,

Great post on cheese smoking!  I appreciate the clear step-by-step, and also the tibdbit about keeping a rack clean by not hot smoking on it.  I didn't realize the hot smoking is what built up the creosote on the racks.  Good info, and I'll keep a rack in reserve just for the cold smoking from here out.

Have a great weekend!

Clarissa
Thanks Clarissa

you can clean up a rack after it is hot smoked or grilled on. only problem is i don't know anybody that cleans one up that good. it is called seasoned. which is great for smoking and grilling. but doesn't look as good on the cheese.

I'm going to have a great weekend. i go pick up a MES 40 from SEENRED. like i need more grilling stuff
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

Hope you have a great weekend.

happy smoken.

David

Thanks Clarissa

you can clean up a rack after it is hot smoked or grilled on. only problem is i don't know anybody that cleans one up that good. it is called seasoned. which is great for smoking and grilling. but doesn't look as good on the cheese.

I'm going to have a great weekend. i go pick up a MES 40 from SEENRED. like i need more grilling stuff
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

Hope you have a great weekend.

happy smoken.

David
I know somebody who cleans hot smoking racks up like new. Mrs Bear does, but you have to put up with the dirty looks during & for awhile after.

Bear

Bear you have a keeper then. i totally understand the dirty looks. that's why i have cold smoke only racks and my own smoking refrigerator.

happy smoken.

David
Yup---She's a keeper after 44 1/2 years. She was in my room from 10 AM to 6 PM all 28 days I was in the hospital, except for a lunch break.

Bear

Yup---She's a keeper after 44 1/2 years. She was in my room from 10 AM to 6 PM all 28 days I was in the hospital, except for a lunch break.

Bear
So Mrs. Bear cleans your meat grinder and meat slicer, washes your smoking racks, and holds your hand in the hospital for 28 straight days. That kind of thing brings tears to my eyes!  What a good woman.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky