Moving a smoker to the patio

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Where are you from...warm climate or farther north where it gets cold and snows? Reason I'm asking is if a cold climate go buy yourself a plastic round saucer sled...put your caster tires on it and use it like the plastic furniture movers. Would need a rope or something connected to it and your pulling handle. Maybe offer some friends a great meal after help moving it...if you're a drinking man, several drinks help you feel stronger.

Ryan

Where are you from...warm climate or farther north where it gets cold and snows? Reason I'm asking is if a cold climate go buy yourself a plastic round saucer sled...put your caster tires on it and use it like the plastic furniture movers. Would need a rope or something connected to it and your pulling handle. Maybe offer some friends a great meal after help moving it...if you're a drinking man, several drinks help you feel stronger.

Ryan
I am in the Dallas area. No sledding.

Thinking along with the others.....Plywood or the such and enlist the help of friends and family. Maybe promise them a big meal when you get it burnt in and ready to go.
Love to see pics when you get it settled.
Jim

Nice looking smoker, did you have it built and if so who did it, a few good strong friends should be able to help. Although you may have to feed them..
Welcome to the Group

Poppo
N.W. GA
This smoker was rehab'd by a guy who does it for a side business. Not sure of the history of it. My guess is it was a custom build originally. You don't see many smokers with solid steel working areas and 18 inch barrels. The bottom of the fire box is 1/2 inch steel. It has a rack and a half inside the cooking barrel. He added the grease valve and casters. You actually take the main rack out through the fire box. My buddy is buying the other smoker he has completed a rehab on. It is a Yoder Cheyenne. Looks great. I liked the slightly larger cooking barrel on the one I am buying. The Yoder has a 16" barrel.

Reactions: JLeonard
Could you come move mine to the back yard when you're done? It's been in my driveway for almost a year. :-)
LOL. Hard to get the vehicles in and out of the garage with the smoker in the way.

I am picking up my new to me offset smoker on Sunday. One challenge is moving it from the driveway to my back patio. My side yard has about 35 ft of gravel to navigate. My smoker has casters in front and steel wheels in back. I don't think the casters will roll over the gravel. So, I'm trying to figure out what to use to cover the gravel and navigate that distance. It is too heavy to just pick up and carry over the 35 ft distance. Maybe 2x12 boards as planks?
I think plywood and a strong friend or two are your answer.

I am picking up my new to me offset smoker on Sunday. One challenge is moving it from the driveway to my back patio. My side yard has about 35 ft of gravel to navigate. My smoker has casters in front and steel wheels in back. I don't think the casters will roll over the gravel. So, I'm trying to figure out what to use to cover the gravel and navigate that distance. It is too heavy to just pick up and carry over the 35 ft distance. Maybe 2x12 boards as planks?
2x12's is my preferred answer as
1. I have 1/2 dozen of them (not usual for most home owners, I guess)
2. I've run a lot of mud in wheelbarrows. Unless the ply is 1" underlay, it just doesn't hold up
3. If you have a friend or know of someone that pours concrete, chances are they have some 2X' forms around you could use for a 2 hour job. 30 minutes of moving, 90 minutes to get and retrieve.

So I wonder what the OP's (original poster, scott french scott french ) outcome was... No final results have been posted...

That's to bad... as you can see another member/person has the same issue with no outcome from the OP that would/could solve others issues just by reading ...

give it a trial run in the front yard without the boards first. I can move my 48 lang patio with two guys easily just lifting up on the front with the small wheels so they dont dig in. It takes two people and usually have one lifting and pulling at the small wheels and another pushing from back. if it isn't muddy you may be surprised how easily it will move. if it doesnt work then go buy some 2x12s.

upside-down sheet of scrap carpet also works well for moving loads over smooth wood floors.

Make some friends with weight lifters at the local gym, then lure them over with the promise of protein shakes. Once there causally mention that you could use a quick little favor.

moving companies have people you can hire just to pick up heavy stuff and move it around. Had some once move a 400lb vanity up some stairs for me during a diy remodel. They did it no problem, and prepared it so drawers wouldn’t open, etc during the move and palled out exactly how to get it around corners and the landing on the stairs

Hey there! Moving a smoker to the patio sounds like a great plan, especially if you can make some new friends along the way. The idea of luring weight lifters with protein shakes is genius! Who can resist a delicious protein-packed treat, right? And if you happen to casually mention that you could use a quick little favor, well, it's worth a shot, isn't it?

But hey, if you ever find yourself in need of some extra muscle power, don't forget about a local removal team. They can be real lifesavers when it comes to moving heavy items. I once had them help me out with a massive 400lb vanity during a DIY remodel, and they handled it like pros. They even took extra precautions to secure the drawers and maneuvered it flawlessly around corners and stairs.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky