Moving a smoker to the patio

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Brokenhandle

Legendary Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 9, 2019
Nw Iowa
Where are you from...warm climate or farther north where it gets cold and snows? Reason I'm asking is if a cold climate go buy yourself a plastic round saucer sled...put your caster tires on it and use it like the plastic furniture movers. Would need a rope or something connected to it and your pulling handle. Maybe offer some friends a great meal after help moving it...if you're a drinking man, several drinks help you feel stronger.

Ryan

scott french

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
Where are you from...warm climate or farther north where it gets cold and snows? Reason I'm asking is if a cold climate go buy yourself a plastic round saucer sled...put your caster tires on it and use it like the plastic furniture movers. Would need a rope or something connected to it and your pulling handle. Maybe offer some friends a great meal after help moving it...if you're a drinking man, several drinks help you feel stronger.

Ryan
I am in the Dallas area. No sledding.

Poppo

Oct 23, 2022
I am in the Dallas area. No sledding.
Nice looking smoker, did you have it built and if so who did it, a few good strong friends should be able to help. Although you may have to feed them..
Welcome to the Group

Poppo
N.W. GA

JLeonard

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 17, 2020
Southaven, MS
Thinking along with the others.....Plywood or the such and enlist the help of friends and family. Maybe promise them a big meal when you get it burnt in and ready to go.
Love to see pics when you get it settled.
Jim

scott french

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
Nice looking smoker, did you have it built and if so who did it, a few good strong friends should be able to help. Although you may have to feed them..
Welcome to the Group

Poppo
N.W. GA
This smoker was rehab'd by a guy who does it for a side business. Not sure of the history of it. My guess is it was a custom build originally. You don't see many smokers with solid steel working areas and 18 inch barrels. The bottom of the fire box is 1/2 inch steel. It has a rack and a half inside the cooking barrel. He added the grease valve and casters. You actually take the main rack out through the fire box. My buddy is buying the other smoker he has completed a rehab on. It is a Yoder Cheyenne. Looks great. I liked the slightly larger cooking barrel on the one I am buying. The Yoder has a 16" barrel.

Reactions: JLeonard

scott french

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
Could you come move mine to the back yard when you're done? It's been in my driveway for almost a year. :-)
LOL. Hard to get the vehicles in and out of the garage with the smoker in the way.

jdixon

Smoke Blower
Jul 24, 2021
I will be picking up my backyard offset smoker in a week or two. It is a heavy one. It has two steel wheels and two casters. 18" x 36" plus fire box. Length is about 66 inches including the fire box and handle at the front. I need to move it from the driveway in the front of the house to the patio in the backyard. I can either go through the house over a wood floor or via the side yard over grass and gravel. If I use plywood over a blanket, I think that would protect the wood floor. Otherwise, I think I need plywood to make going over the grass and gravel on the side of the house easier.

Thoughts? newtoki
I am picking up my new to me offset smoker on Sunday. One challenge is moving it from the driveway to my back patio. My side yard has about 35 ft of gravel to navigate. My smoker has casters in front and steel wheels in back. I don't think the casters will roll over the gravel. So, I'm trying to figure out what to use to cover the gravel and navigate that distance. It is too heavy to just pick up and carry over the 35 ft distance. Maybe 2x12 boards as planks?

Nefarious

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Oct 10, 2021
Seattle WA
I am picking up my new to me offset smoker on Sunday. One challenge is moving it from the driveway to my back patio. My side yard has about 35 ft of gravel to navigate. My smoker has casters in front and steel wheels in back. I don't think the casters will roll over the gravel. So, I'm trying to figure out what to use to cover the gravel and navigate that distance. It is too heavy to just pick up and carry over the 35 ft distance. Maybe 2x12 boards as planks?
I think plywood and a strong friend or two are your answer.

Fueling Around

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 10, 2018
FL winter, MN summer
2x12's is my preferred answer as
1. I have 1/2 dozen of them (not usual for most home owners, I guess)
2. I've run a lot of mud in wheelbarrows. Unless the ply is 1" underlay, it just doesn't hold up
3. If you have a friend or know of someone that pours concrete, chances are they have some 2X' forms around you could use for a 2 hour job. 30 minutes of moving, 90 minutes to get and retrieve.

jdixon

Smoke Blower
Jul 24, 2021
2. I've run a lot of mud in wheelbarrows. Unless the ply is 1" underlay, it just doesn't hold up
3. If you have a friend or know of someone that pours concrete, chances are they have some 2X' forms around you could use for a 2 hour job. 30 minutes of moving, 90 minutes to get and retrieve.
3. If you have a friend or know of someone that pours concrete, chances are they have some 2X' forms around you could use for a 2 hour job. 30 minutes of moving, 90 minutes to get and retrieve. commercial cleaning services 30a
thank you for your suggestion

JckDanls 07

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Sep 10, 2011
Tampa area, Florida.
So I wonder what the OP's (original poster, scott french scott french ) outcome was... No final results have been posted...

That's to bad... as you can see another member/person has the same issue with no outcome from the OP that would/could solve others issues just by reading ...

ifitsdeadsmokeit

Meat Mopper
Apr 9, 2010
Hollister Missouri
give it a trial run in the front yard without the boards first. I can move my 48 lang patio with two guys easily just lifting up on the front with the small wheels so they dont dig in. It takes two people and usually have one lifting and pulling at the small wheels and another pushing from back. if it isn't muddy you may be surprised how easily it will move. if it doesnt work then go buy some 2x12s.

Hot Threads