Moving a smoker to the patio

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scott french

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
I will be picking up my backyard offset smoker in a week or two. It is a heavy one. It has two steel wheels and two casters. 18" x 36" plus fire box. Length is about 66 inches including the fire box and handle at the front. I need to move it from the driveway in the front of the house to the patio in the backyard. I can either go through the house over a wood floor or via the side yard over grass and gravel. If I use plywood over a blanket, I think that would protect the wood floor. Otherwise, I think I need plywood to make going over the grass and gravel on the side of the house easier.

Thoughts?

Reactions: JLeonard
I wonder if a plastic sled or a toboggan would work.

Chris

I think you posted a pic or two of the smoker in your other thread. May help to post here so others can see it.

My Bell Fab that I recommended has a long T-bar for moving. Would be heavy but easy for me to move on the gravel and grass you mentioned.

Screensho.jpg

Reactions: Displaced Texan
It's hard to see, but at the front, there is a steel bar/handle where the ash rake is hanging from. That can be grabbed for pulling the smoker across the plywood and grass.

Reactions: Displaced Texan
When I sold my Lang, I told the guy to bring a couple of sheets of plywood so he could leap frog them out to the front yard. He just pulled that smoker right thru the grass out front running. No plywood, just a big strong guy.
Al

Hope you have some extra plywood laying around...price of it now is outrageous!

But since we like pics so much...can you take a pic of your wife's face when you tell her you want to take it through the house? Thinking that will be priceless!

Ryan

We used to use a Mule dolly for moving equipment on job sites . We had them for hard surface and rough terrain .
Might be able to rent one . You'll need to keep the small casters from digging in I would think . Heck if you have a regular hand truck / dolly that might work . Put it under the front and lift the casters off the ground . Let the back wheels carry the weight , and pull and steer with the dolly .

Hope you have some extra plywood laying around...price of it now is outrageous!

But since we like pics so much...can you take a pic of your wife's face when you tell her you want to take it through the house? Thinking that will be priceless!

Ryan
Whoa, it is expensive. I will talk to Lowes and Home Depot to get the right plywood for the job. Too long a distance across gravel to try to navigate with the wheels on the smoker.

Nice smoker.
Wife wouldn't be happy with me taking it through the house
I have 1/2 dozen 2x12's that would be nice for making a plank road.

I have alleyway access to my backyard. Skid steer with pallet forks is my preferred method to move the heavy stuff.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Maybe round up a bunch of those pan handlers that infest every highway off ramp everywhere, if you can find any who are actually willing to do more than stand there with a sign ....

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky