Most consistent burning wood?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

joel11230

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 21, 2016
Hey guys, I am new to smoking with an offset smoker. I just bought an older heavier duty Oklahoma joes ranger smoker. What ratio of wood to charcoal do you use and what is the best wood for consistent heat(if there is such a thing). Do you just use wood? I have been processing my own deer and I love making smoked summer sausage, snack sticks, etc. I've been using a mes 30" but this will allow much more room. Thank you for any help.

Hi Joel.

On my stick burner I start my fire with charcoal... After that I use post oak.  Not sure if it is the most consistent burning.  But it is a wood that I know how it burns.  Use what you're familiar with I guess is what I'm saying.  B

Brian is spot on. I start a good bed of coals with charcoal and then use all wood. My go to cooking wood is either red or white oak. We don't have post oak in SC. Any good dense hardwood will work once you get accustomed to it. Good luck with it, Joe

Hi Joel.
On my stick burner I start my fire with charcoal... After that I use post oak.  Not sure if it is the most consistent burning.  But it is a wood that I know how it burns.  Use what you're familiar with I guess is what I'm saying.  B
Thank you, I'm going to try a rack of ribs this weekend. I want to learn as much as I can.

Brian is spot on. I start a good bed of coals with charcoal and then use all wood. My go to cooking wood is either red or white oak. We don't have post oak in SC. Any good dense hardwood will work once you get accustomed to it. Good luck with it, Joe
Thanks Joe, being in SW Kansas I'm not sure what kind of wood I'm going to be able to get. I will take all the information I can get.

I've got relatives in Kansas. You've got native White Oak, Post Oak, Red Oak and more. Plenty of local wood.  Lets not over think it.  Find you some hard wood and light a fire brother! Your Q will turn out great.  Post that smoke! b

I like Oak alot. It burns extremely hot and has a very neutral clean smoke. Bring up North. I get a really good selection of hard fruit woods. Use alot of apple and cherry wood. Very sweet clean smoke.
My friend owns a wood cutting service. So he hooks me up. And I get quite a selection. My favorite lately is sugar maple. The same tree that makes maple syrup. It burns very hot and clean..the smoke smells like carmel. It's pretty amazing.

Reactions: joel11230
I like Oak alot. It burns extremely hot and has a very neutral clean smoke. Bring up North. I get a really good selection of hard fruit woods. Use alot of apple and cherry wood. Very sweet clean smoke.
My friend owns a wood cutting service. So he hooks me up. And I get quite a selection. My favorite lately is sugar maple. The same tree that makes maple syrup. It burns very hot and clean..the smoke smells like carmel. It's pretty amazing.
Sounds awesome!

I would go for a test run before the first smoke. That way you don't ruin any meat. Its way easier to make the fire too hot the first time. Like other said start off with charcoal first. Let the coals get going. Then put one piece of oak first. Close the door and see what temp you get.
You might wanna check out youtube. Search for offset smoker fire. There are plenty of excellent videos on how to use an offset. It helped me alot in the beginning. But the best way is through trial and error. Be warned. You will get hopelessly addicted. Building the fire and maintaining it. Is one of the most fun part of bbqing.

I would go for a test run before the first smoke. That way you don't ruin any meat. Its way easier to make the fire too hot the first time. Like other said start off with charcoal first. Let the coals get going. Then put one piece of oak first. Close the door and see what temp you get.
You might wanna check out youtube. Search for offset smoker fire. There are plenty of excellent videos on how to use an offset. It helped me alot in the beginning. But the best way is through trial and error. Be warned. You will get hopelessly addicted. Building the fire and maintaining it. Is one of the most fun part of bbqing.
I did a test run last night. I did notice that once I had a nice bed of red hot coals that the temp evened out. I played with the vent and the one large tuning plate that came with the smoker. I could get the horizontal section anywhere from 225-400 degrees just by moving that plate around(I need a couple more). The vertical section I could get from 140- just over 200. My first time so...lots to learn. No better place to learn than right here from the pros. #Smokingmeatforums!

Joe, Brian and myself must all come from the same stick burning school of thought. I have charcoal around for two reasons. One is to start my stick burner the other is for dutch oven use.

I use a lot of red oak. Consistent long burns and hot. I start with about half to three quarters of a chimney of charcoal. Light it and dump it into the fire box. Put a load of oak splits on it and let it really get burning.

I let it burn like this for 15 or 20 minutes and then close lid but leave the exhaust and intake vents wide open and let the draw begin and heat up the steel. Before long you have a nice bed of oak coals to begin to work with.

I usually let it burn down a little further than this even. By now at least with my smoker it's running between 275 and 300. Hotter than I like to cook at but that's what I want. I generally smoke the majority of things between 225 and 250. As soon as I see the temp is no longer rising and is stable or dropping I add the meat. By opening the smoker and adding cold meat I lose enough temp to be where I want. And by now I have a good draw and the thin blue is flowing!

Have your splits ready before hand. I have splits of all different sizes from just bigger than a pencil all the way up to 6 inch splits and everything in between. Splits are like briquettes in a way. In dutch oven cooking they say one briquette adds 10 to 15 degrees in temp. Splits are no different. For me by the time I'm well into the cook I have a coal bed about the size of a softball in the firebox and the smoker is cruising along at 250 but I may still have a hour or two left to cook or more depending. Once you get all that steel heated up it takes over itself.

Of course I don't want to add a 6 inch split at this point because I will get a heat spike but I don't want the coals to go out either. So here's where I might add a 1 or 2 inch split. Enough to keep the fire going but not enough to cause a heat spike.

All this time I'm going back and forth between oak and flavor wood usually apple or sugar maple.

And yes get more tuning plates they are your friend! I think I have 5 in mine.

Of course other things factor in like ambient temp, wind and so forth but once you learn the technique of stick burning adjustments for outside factors become almost instinctive.

Keep us posted on how you are doing and ask questions. A lot of good seasoned stick burners around here to answer your questions!

Reactions: bdskelly
I will add that looking at your smoker and the position of the vertical it might be hard to get cooking temps in the vertical without your horizontal being extremely hot. I'm assuming your firebox on the horizontal is the only heat source? Is the vertical dampered from the horizontal in any way? Tuning plates could help this but it looks a long way from the firebox to the vertical. As long as you have to add more tuning plates try to get them so you can seal off the entire horizontal from the firebox all the way to the vertical. This would help keep the vertical as cool as possible and getting the most heat in the vertical.

Recommendation find a good firewood guy. Fortunately I'm friends with a guy that owns a tree cutting service in Michigan. So he gives me great prices. And even custom cuts the logs to my specifications.
I'm about due to order another facecord. He brings me about a facecord and a half and charges me for a facecord. In the pile I have right now. It's about 1/3 oak 1/3 black cherry and the rest is apple and sugar maple.

Joe, Brian and myself must all come from the same stick burning school of thought. I have charcoal around for two reasons. One is to start my stick burner the other is for dutch oven use.

I use a lot of red oak. Consistent long burns and hot. I start with about half to three quarters of a chimney of charcoal. Light it and dump it into the fire box. Put a load of oak splits on it and let it really get burning.

I let it burn like this for 15 or 20 minutes and then close lid but leave the exhaust and intake vents wide open and let the draw begin and heat up the steel. Before long you have a nice bed of oak coals to begin to work with.

I usually let it burn down a little further than this even. By now at least with my smoker it's running between 275 and 300. Hotter than I like to cook at but that's what I want. I generally smoke the majority of things between 225 and 250. As soon as I see the temp is no longer rising and is stable or dropping I add the meat. By opening the smoker and adding cold meat I lose enough temp to be where I want. And by now I have a good draw and the thin blue is flowing!

Have your splits ready before hand. I have splits of all different sizes from just bigger than a pencil all the way up to 6 inch splits and everything in between. Splits are like briquettes in a way. In dutch oven cooking they say one briquette adds 10 to 15 degrees in temp. Splits are no different. For me by the time I'm well into the cook I have a coal bed about the size of a softball in the firebox and the smoker is cruising along at 250 but I may still have a hour or two left to cook or more depending. Once you get all that steel heated up it takes over itself.

Of course I don't want to add a 6 inch split at this point because I will get a heat spike but I don't want the coals to go out either. So here's where I might add a 1 or 2 inch split. Enough to keep the fire going but not enough to cause a heat spike.

All this time I'm going back and forth between oak and flavor wood usually apple or sugar maple.

Of course other things factor in like ambient temp, wind and so forth but once you learn the technique of stick burning adjustments for outside factors become almost instinctive.

Keep us posted on how you are doing and ask questions. A lot of good seasoned stick burners around here to answer your questions!
Good fire starting tutorial! point

b

Thank you very much! And thank you for taking the time.

I will add that looking at your smoker and the position of the vertical it might be hard to get cooking temps in the vertical without your horizontal being extremely hot. I'm assuming your firebox on the horizontal is the only heat source? Is the vertical dampered from the horizontal in any way? Tuning plates could help this but it looks a long way from the firebox to the vertical. As long as you have to add more tuning plates try to get them so you can seal off the entire horizontal from the firebox all the way to the vertical. This would help keep the vertical as cool as possible and getting the most heat in the vertical.
You make a good point and that was my first thought when I noticed how far the vertical section was from the firebox. The horizontal section leading into the vertical section is wide open. The vertical section has a 2" drain hole in the bottom and the damper on top of the smoke stack. Other than that the only way to control temp is the damper on the firebox. I will note that last night it did seem to draft very well from the firebox into the vertical section. Huge difference in temps between the 2 sections though. I think that is why I need more tuning plates. Also I read somewhere that most people only use the vertical section for summer sausage, etc as you only want 180 degree temp.

Thanks for the points Brian! I must fess up I've been a long time member but only started to hang around again recently. I forgot how to give points and can't figure it out for the life of me!
frown.gif

Maybe someone will unlock the secret for me!
biggrin.gif

Recommendation find a good firewood guy. Fortunately I'm friends with a guy that owns a tree cutting service in Michigan. So he gives me great prices. And even custom cuts the logs to my specifications.
I'm about due to order another facecord. He brings me about a facecord and a half and charges me for a facecord. In the pile I have right now. It's about 1/3 oak 1/3 black cherry and the rest is apple and sugar maple.
That is a awesome connection to have! I'm envious. Red oak is getting harder to come by here as is a lot of hardwoods. The DNR has a 50 mile restriction on transporting wood unless it is from a DNR approved vendor and it must be kiln dried. Trying to stop the proliferation of the ash bore weevil I guess. It sure makes it difficult for me to do my cooking events that are a little extended out of the area. Bottom line is a lot of the farmers and private parties have just quit selling wood.

The DNR here in Minnesota is famous for way over regulating things. Just ask resort owners on Mille Lacs lake. Thats another whole story.

You make a good point and that was my first thought when I noticed how far the vertical section was from the firebox. The horizontal section leading into the vertical section is wide open. The vertical section has a 2" drain hole in the bottom and the damper on top of the smoke stack. Other than that the only way to control temp is the damper on the firebox. I will note that last night it did seem to draft very well from the firebox into the vertical section. Huge difference in temps between the 2 sections though. I think that is why I need more tuning plates. Also I read somewhere that most people only use the vertical section for summer sausage, etc as you only want 180 degree temp.
Get tuning plates that run the entire length of your vertical and see how that works. It will be one big heat sink and I'm guessing the horizontal is still going to be quite hot but might be more manageable. Of course if you don't need the vertical for smoking ribs or briskets pork butts or anything else than you have no worries!
icon_biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky