Mortadella Time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Cubing some pork fat for the mortadella.

IMG_0024.jpg

UMAi Mortadella.
I was not going to emulsify but decided to. Used a pre mix bologna from Marty Owens. Cure #1 and some red wine.
IMG_0029.jpg

Smoked back fat and smoked hog jowl, red wine, pistachio and peppercorns. Used Owens BBQ Red Barn Bologna mix.
IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

I did not truss these and in the smoker @175 with my PID.
(No smoke) as the smoker will give off some residual smoke.
IMG_0033.jpg

BBL

That's gonna be good . Mortadella Is something I want to try . Be watching for the slice .

How many passes through the grinder did you do? And what was the smallest plate you used?

I mixed by hand before adding the fat, pistachios and pepper corns, didnt like the look so i did end up doing a slight emulsion.

I have a big KA processor. Did in 2 batches.
IMG_0040.jpg

nepas, your Mortadella looks just beautiful! How does it taste? I am sure it tastes great but would like to hear it from you! :emoji_wink:

Using the Red Barn Bologna mix was a good idea. Taste pretty good, prob be better tomorrow.

Question: Why umai bags? Did you age it? Or was it the only casings you had?
UMAi has this recipe in a video on their site, they do theirs in the oven.

I'm thinking next time high barrier water proof casing. I have a sheee i mean boat load of diff casings :emoji_laughing:

That looks great . Perfect color . I used 80 mm high barrier to do the red bard bologna . Those things are tough . Stuff up nice and tight .

Reactions: BGKYSmoker
That looks great . Perfect color . I used 80 mm high barrier to do the red bard bologna . Those things are tough . Stuff up nice and tight .

Yeah i have some but i keep forgetting about them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky