More than one therm in the Meat?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pastorgadget

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
Shelby Twp.
I know not to put a therm in the first two hours of a smoke for most meats. For butt or briskett is it unwise to put in more than one therm into the meat just in a different area? The purpose to validate internal temp.  

Of course you have to have a second one, I have three therms, on the door (not dependable but a reference), one digital hanging in the middle of the smoker, and one in the meat, I have a third I use if I do more than one meat.  

I did a butt that I think I hit a fat pocket on and afterward thought I may put a second probe in my butt.  

Oh great wisemen of smoke share your insights.

If you have a Thermapen you can just use it to verify temps in different areas of the meat 
thumb1.gif

I use a BBQ Guru with the pit and food probes. I put the meat one in straight away so I don't have to open the smoker (UDS) later on. I always make sure to clean it good though before and after use. It is always a good practice to probe different places in a large cut to make sure but I probably wouldn't run 2 meat probes at the same time in the same chunk.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky