More SV steak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CTXSmokeLover

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 17, 2022
Central TX
After the first go round with the SV and a tomahawk a few weeks back I've been craving SV'd steaks again. Threw in a couple of ribeyes for the wifey over the weekend. Continue to be amazed by how easily and perfectly it cooks. Finished off with a torch. Looking forward to more SV'ing in the near future and trying out different things. Cheers!

IMG_9847.jpg
IMG_9849.jpg
IMG_9851.jpg
IMG_9861.jpg
IMG_9863.jpg
IMG_9865.jpg

Looks great! I broke down and bought a SV on prime day. Used it for the first time last night. Looking forward to doing more!

Many moons ago a method called 'hot tub' was popular on the original BGE forum. It basically called for bagging a steak and holding it in a 100°+ water bath for about 40 minutes or so. The idea was to raise the meat temp to 90° or so. Next the steak was grilled to 125° - 130°. Around the same time frame the 'reverse sear' method was popular. I like both methods.

Fast forward to a few years ago, and buying a SV. I think it produces near perfect steaks and chops.

Reactions: DougE
Many moons ago a method called 'hot tub' was popular on the original BGE forum. It basically called for bagging a steak and holding it in a 100°+ water bath for about 40 minutes or so. The idea was to raise the meat temp to 90° or so. Next the steak was grilled to 125° - 130°. Around the same time frame the 'reverse sear' method was popular. I like both methods.

Fast forward to a few years ago, and buying a SV. I think it produces near perfect steaks and chops.
I agree and hate that I have been missing out on this all these years

Wow! That’s incredible! You definitely brought it to the next level!!! Awesome steak! Points for sure!

I agree and hate that I have been missing out on this all these years
Well, the early SV circulators were expensive and actually a 'device' not the stick style of circulator that is so common today. I opted not to buy one of the early ones.... but jumped on a stick model from Anova. Last year I played around with Summer sausage/bologna finished in SV and got a screaming deal on the larger Anova model so I can use it in an ice chest.

Reactions: CTXSmokeLover
Those steaks are done to perfection! I agree with thirdeye thirdeye , it's hard to beat SV when it comes to cooking steaks and chops. I mainly got my SV circulator for finishing sausages, but as it ends up, I find it useful for so much more.

Great looking steak!

I found a surprise use for the SV - Reheating prime rib or steak...gets it right back to perfection.

Those steaks are done to perfection! I agree with thirdeye thirdeye , it's hard to beat SV when it comes to cooking steaks and chops. I mainly got my SV circulator for finishing sausages, but as it ends up, I find it useful for so much more.
I forgot to mention chicken, especially breasts, served as a main meat or making chicken salad. I also use Pop's brine on breasts, then cold/warm smoke them 2 or 3 hours and do a SV finish. They are wonderful and freeze very well.
syFzXTt.jpg

Great looking steak!

I found a surprise use for the SV - Reheating prime rib or steak...gets it right back to perfection.
YES... reheating is one of the best uses. Anything from leftovers to bags of pulled pork, or pepper beef.

Reactions: CTXSmokeLover
Wow! That’s incredible! You definitely brought it to the next level!!! Awesome steak! Points for sure!
Thanks Jed!
Great looking meal, and the steak is cooked to perfection!
Can’t beat those SV’s!
Al
I agree, and thanks Al!
Thanks! Had never even considered it for finishing sausages, will definitely keep that in my back pocket.
Great looking steak!

Great tip and thank you!
I forgot to mention chicken, especially breasts, served as a main meat or making chicken salad. I also use Pop's brine on breasts, then cold/warm smoke them 2 or 3 hours and do a SV finish. They are wonderful and freeze very well.
View attachment 638165

YES... reheating is one of the best uses. Anything from leftovers to bags of pulled pork, or pepper beef.
I'll definitely be adding chicken breasts to the SV list at some point. Appreciate all the tips/feedback everyone!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky