More Sockeye...12-30... MONEY....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
Yep....   Skipper brought Bride sockeye from Alaska....  Soooooo, since we been married 28 years today, I'm prepping the fish for New Years 'cause she wants it...    Imagine that...

This cure / brine is different....   I weighed the fish in at 1400 grams... decided to add 200 grams of water to keep it a little more moist.....  We'll see what happens...   Already about an extra 100 grams has been sucked out of the fish from the salt, sugar and cure etc...    I'm still using my "BATCH" cure where I add 18 grams of mix per pound (450 grams of fish and water)....

It will come out of the brine in the morning.... I'll rinse and dry it....   form the pellicle on wire racks in front of the fan, prior to the addition of Alder smoke in the dedicated fish smoker...  

Temps tomorrow supposed to be around 22...  Good thing I've modified this marvelous fish smoking machine with a ~1200 watt element... 

....   .....
Thanks for looking....   BBL...

Last edited:
Got the fish rinsed and it's drying to form the pellicle....    Went out to put the Alder Pellets in the smoker to dry and it's  -2 deg. F...   A tad bit brisk this AM.........

The pellicle is soluble proteins that you dry to a film on the fish...    It feels tacky but it is dry...    That seals in the moisture and fat, and keeps the fish moist as long as it is pretty much in one piece...  I just started going an extra step by dissolving brown sugar in rum...  try to make it thick... like a heavy, heavy syrup...  spread it on the fish and it seals the meat also....   I like it....  Below is a pic of the fish with the brown sugar glaze...  It has sat in front of the fan also to dry....   The brown sugar film is REALLY thin and adds a subtle flavor to the fish... barely noticeable..

From a previous batch of fish...   The natural pellicle....   the fish absorbs smoke MUCH better....

Last edited:
And I thought 9 was cold! I have two fillets that are going in the smoker tomorrow, it's the season I guess.
HEY !!!!   The Old Totem Smoker got all the way up to 180 with the big element.....

Those of us that live East of the Cascades are blessed with cold....  It's time to make some of Kevin's ''coffee adding liqueur"...   picked up a jug of Everclear last week for that specific purpose..

Last edited:
Another hour or so and this fish should be ready to eat.....  Smoker's cruising at about 175 ish...    Bride wants the fish a little more cooked than the last batch...... Sooooooooo, a little more cooked it will be....    Shooting for ~140 ish...  maybe 145.....

DONE !!!   Bride said 145 was perfect....  I'm out of trouble now....   for a minute or 2.....

This stuff is AWESOME!!

Last edited:
Reactions: crazymoon
DO, Nice looking salmon sir ! I'm  laughing at the old totem smoker, mine still sits idle in the garage and maybe I need the 1220 watt thrown into the old girl .

Dave, I'm not a big salmon fan, but I'd try that!

I picked up a filet today to make cold smoked salmon for the bride and her mother. Gonna get it started later in the cure process.

DO, Nice looking salmon sir ! I'm  laughing at the old totem smoker, mine still sits idle in the garage and maybe I need the 1220 watt thrown into the old girl .
If you want to smoke in winter, it sure helps...   I tried it with the old element when we moved to the high desert and had to do something...   This works...   I've got a thread on the conversion on here somewhere.... 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...r-element-for-colder-climates-and-hot-smoking

Nice looking salmon Dave...like always.
Sockeye rocks. Big chief is best for this. I learned that here. And that's not BS.

Last edited:
If we keep this up, Big Chief will have a resurgence like the world has never seen.....    HAHAHAHAHAHA.... 

Hey Dave.....  Thanks for lookin' in...   You are a man that knows how to please your southerly neighbor...  I've been lookin' in on your blog frequently...  looks like you have a good following...

Dave

Hey Dave.....  Thanks for lookin' in...   You are a man that knows how to please your southerly neighbor...  I've been lookin' in on your blog frequently...  looks like you have a good following...

Dave
Thanks for looking. I passed 100,000 views this year. Not much in the world of blogging but not bad for an old fat Canadian. Maybe you could do a guest post for me some day.

How about a cardboard cut out....   I'm not sure if the current administration has me on some list or not....  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky