More Snack Sticks...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Time to use up some of the 84# of goose meat I have in the freezer. I recently bought some 23mm collagen casings which slide onto the 10mm horn much easier. Once stuffed, they are about .9 inches in diameter so these are meaty sticks. I picked up an extra double pack when I bought pork for processing day to make these sticks with. I bought 3.5# fresh jalapenos and 3# of shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Deseeded the peppers then 1/4" dice; in the dehydrator overnight.

Got the meat trimmed and cleaned up, in the freezer. Ground the goose meat thru 3mm plate (using as a beef replacement works well) and pork/fat thru 4.5mm plate. mixed in the salt, cure#1 and spices, apple cider vinegar, and dried jalapenos. checked the pH then added 2g./kg. dextrose and 2.5g./kg. dark brown sugar. I am using F-RM-52 starter culture here. Added the sugars and starter culture then mixed good, folded in the cheese until well distributed. Then stuffed.
Hung the sticks in my smokehouse to fermented @ 83*F using an inkbird controller with a hot plate, pan of water 3" over the hot plate. Let them go 24 hours to pH of 4.75 then rolled some smoke to them. I used pecan and cherry....was out of apple which is why the links are red...
IMG_20220127_160537.jpg

Low and slow...120-130*F for about 3 hours, then slowly increase temp. to 155-160*F until INT reaches 152*F. Now have the sticks hanging on poles over two chairs in a spare room with a crack in the window, 4" fan blowing over a tray of water on one of the chairs. Temp. running 58*F with 52%RH.

For sticks this small diameter, RH between 50-60% is good. Will dry to 45% weight loss in about 5 days. I checked them this morning and already down to 17.5%. Will have the perfect weather for drying in spare room this week.

Time to use up some of the 84# of goose meat I have in the freezer. I recently bought some 23mm collagen casings which slide onto the 10mm horn much easier. Once stuffed, they are about .9 inches in diameter so these are meaty sticks. I picked up an extra double pack when I bought pork for processing day to make these sticks with. I bought 3.5# fresh jalapenos and 3# of shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Deseeded the peppers then 1/4" dice; in the dehydrator overnight.

Got the meat trimmed and cleaned up, in the freezer. Ground the goose meat thru 3mm plate (using as a beef replacement works well) and pork/fat thru 4.5mm plate. mixed in the salt, cure#1 and spices, apple cider vinegar, and dried jalapenos. checked the pH then added 2g./kg. dextrose and 2.5g./kg. dark brown sugar. I am using F-RM-52 starter culture here. Added the sugars and starter culture then mixed good, folded in the cheese until well distributed. Then stuffed.
Hung the sticks in my smokehouse to fermented @ 83*F using an inkbird controller with a hot plate, pan of water 3" over the hot plate. Let them go 24 hours to pH of 4.75 then rolled some smoke to them. I used pecan and cherry....was out of apple which is why the links are red...
View attachment 523611
Low and slow...120-130*F for about 3 hours, then slowly increase temp. to 155-160*F until INT reaches 152*F. Now have the sticks hanging on poles over two chairs in a spare room with a crack in the window, 4" fan blowing over a tray of water on one of the chairs. Temp. running 58*F with 52%RH.

For sticks this small diameter, RH between 50-60% is good. Will dry to 45% weight loss in about 5 days. I checked them this morning and already down to 17.5%. Will have the perfect weather for drying in spare room this week.
Look great as they are in the smoker. Collagen took on some good color.

View attachment 523611

That’s a lot of duck - nice job.

Look great as they are in the smoker. Collagen took on some good color.
Thanks Cajun. Cherry gives a great color.

Picture perfect sticks man. :emoji_thumbsup:
Thanks moto.

Yup , looks great . I like the color a little cherry gives off .
Thank you Chop.

Any hand outs ? :emoji_laughing:

Warren
I handed out a pile of 'em today on our annual marsh rabbit hunt. I'll be cooking rabbits tuesday....will post up a thread.

Looks beautiful! I’m jealous!
Thanks! Jump in....we;ll walk you through it.

That’s a lot of duck - nice job.
Thanks. But it's all geese, not ducks. Each goose breast weighed 18oz. so it adds up fast.

Looks mouthwatering
Thanks Jake.

Nice. Cant wait to see a sliced shot.
10-4...will post one tomorrow. Dead dog tired from rabbit hunting today...about to go to bed. It is a full body workout hunting rabbits in the marsh. Soft mud, high stepping, in waders. My legs are jello right now....but it is a good kind of tired.

Those sticks look awesome

Sticks are done drying...
IMG_20220204_163423.jpg

Took them down to 45% weight loss. The 23mm took 2 days longer than the 21mm I have done before. Got them all cut up and packaged. 1 24" stick cut down to 6" stixs. 4 stixs to a pack. ended up with 68 packs. Will be well stocked for turkey season and early summer fishing before I will have to make some more.

Sticks are done drying...
View attachment 524565
Took them down to 45% weight loss. The 23mm took 2 days longer than the 21mm I have done before. Got them all cut up and packaged. 1 24" stick cut down to 6" stixs. 4 stixs to a pack. ended up with 68 packs. Will be well stocked for turkey season and early summer fishing before I will have to make some more.
Heck yeah bud. Those look delicious. Just got finished chowing down on some elk sticks that Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ sent me. Nice work
IMG_20220204_173746.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky