More Moose, Hunter's Blend Summer Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I mentioned in a previous post that a friend gave me a generous amount of frozen moose meat. I have been processing some of it and will be giving her half in modest recompense for her generous gift. As we will be getting together soon, I was in a hurry to get some done to share with her.

Being short of time, I didn't get to doing a lot of research and went to our local outfitting store and picked up a Hi Mountain Hunter's Blend Summer Sausage kit. It comes with seasoning, cure and fibrous casings.

For two 3 pound chubs, it calls for 1 1/2 pounds of pork and 4 1/2 pounds of venison. I used moose, of course.

I got some pork shoulder and the moose out of the freezer and let it thaw until it was just crunchy in spots.Some of the moose was preground.

I cut the pork up and weighed it. It came in at 1 pound 11 ounces. I diced and added enough of the moose to make six pounds.

I ran the unground meat through the grinder attachment on my KitchenAid (medium plate) and added it to the preground moose.

I  mixed the seasonings and the cure in a bowl in the amounts recommended by the instructions. I sprinkled that over the meat. Then I poured 1/2 cup of cold water on that. I mixed it thoroughly by hand for 4 minutes. I think the feeling in my cold hands will come back any day now.

I put the meat in the fridge to chill again for 1/2 hour. While I was waiting, I soaked the fibrous casings in warm water.

I ran the meat through the grinder with the medium plate again.

I put the meat in the fridge and did a test fry. I was surprised it was so spicy. I didn't know that Hunter style meant spicy! Still in is a nice flavour without too much burn. It is a little salty for me but I find everything too salty. She Who Must Be Obeyed said it was fine.

I put the meat in 2 of the fibrous casings. and let them sit in the fridge overnight. Note I tied the probe of my BlueTherm Duo into the end of one of the chubs.

The next morning, I turned the Bradley Smoker on to 120 F without smoke. I put the chub in the smoker or 1 hour. Then I increased the temperature to 140 F and started pecan smoke. I went for another hour and increased the temperature to 160 F for 1/2 hour. Then I increased the temperature up to 180 F and smoked to an internal temperature of 156 F (4 1/2 hours). I put the chubs in cold water and then left them on a rack for a couple of hours.

I put it in the fridge overnight and then sliced her up and tasted it.

The Verdict

This is a good product. I like the consistency and the spicy flavour. If you are looking for convenience, this is a good way to go. That being said, as I prefer a touch less salt than most people and I want to be able to adjust the flavour profile, I will look for recipes I can mix myself for further attempts. 

However, I am enjoying this. I have some cooking on a pizza as I speak!

Disco

Great thread Disco, everything sure does look amazing & tasty.... Thumbs Up However, I still think you should have sent that moose meat to some redneck in SE Idaho.... :biggrin: Just sayin ! Haha.

Seriously, awesome job ! Enjoy !

:beercheer:

:points1:

Disco, another excellent product comes out of your kitchen !
points.gif

Great thread Disco, everything sure does look amazing & tasty....
icon14.gif
However, I still think you should have sent that moose meat to some redneck in SE Idaho....
biggrin.gif
Just sayin ! Haha.

Seriously, awesome job ! Enjoy !

beercheer.gif

points1.png
Thanks, Justin but you need to find your own Moose connection. Maybe if you hang around seedy outfitting stores.

Disco, another excellent product comes out of your kitchen !
points.gif
I appreciate the point and kind words, CM.

Xlnt looking final product there Disco.....well done. The grind consistency looks perfect......Willie
Thanks, Willie. I was pleased with how it turned out but I will go to a home mixed recipe when I am done with the kit.

Disco

Nice job on the summer sausage. I've been using kits the last few years but I made Len Poli's summer sausage recipe 3 years ago and think it is very good starting off recipe. I think that if I made it a few times and tweaked it to how I like it it would be a great recipe. The kits have been working out good because we've been making a lot and have 5-6 people helping and it hard to keep up mixing batches from scratch.

looks great! i hope i can get my propane smoker low enough to do the traditional 140, 150,160 degree smoke on my sausages this weekend. if not, i'll have it at 200 and watch my IT to 155, pull and put in ice water bath.

hope mine come out nearly as pretty as yours.

Ok I am serious here, tell me about summer sausages. The only way I ever tryed to eat any was with cheese abd crackers which normally accompanied it in the basket from that little store in the mall.

Do you cook with it at all? The only thing besides crackers I can think of to do with it is maybe on a pizza?

We don't normally do summer sausages here, I assume because of the heat maybe?

Are all fermented sausages summer sausages? I assume all summer sausages are fermented or some type flavoring like buttermilk added to make them taste as such?

Do we have a king of summer sausages, a go-to guy? You know, like Boyjko is for regulars? I know if I have a sausage question and Boykjo doesn't know, he has all the right folks to help me out.

Sorry for highjacking, I will shut up now and hope for just a name to send PM's to.

So whats next? Flying squirrel breakfast links.......... Poor Bullwinkle. Natashia and Boris could never defeat Moose, then Disco grinds him up..... Oh my.

That looks wonderful!
 Foam , LMAO !!!!!  I can answer some SS questions BUT I'm not the expert.

Last edited:
Beautiful Job Disco!!
drool.gif
------------------------
points.gif

Now you got me Jealous-----I haven't had moose in at least 20 years!!! 
th_crybaby2.gif

Bear

Would you check your tracking number, mine never made it

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky