More Kielbasa

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DougE

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 13, 2010
Richmond,KY
I had posted a pic of the sausages I stuffed in the other thread yesterday, but didn't want to hijack his thread.

I used the recipe posted on Cajuneric Cajuneric s site (Two Guys and a Cooler) with a couple changes. I dialed down the salt to 1.5%. and the sugar to 0.75%. I also used potato starch at 4% as my binder instead of using NFDM the recipe called for.

1666565443550.png

1666565482242.png

1666565518826.png

DougE DougE
Looks great! I notice cajuneric is using potato starch this season in all his sausages, instead of NFDM. How do you like it in comparison? Any differences?

DougE DougE
Looks great! I notice cajuneric is using potato starch this season in all his sausages, instead of NFDM. How do you like it in comparison? Any differences?
This is the first time I've used a binder so I have nothing to compare it to. I was actually going to skip it, but I can get potato starch locally, so I figured why not.

Reactions: Dave in AZ
Nice looking links! Cross section looks good to....no fat out and good bind!
I was a little worried about fat out since I had to take them all the way on the pellet grill. Normally I smoke for color and finish in sous vide. I made the links too long to fit in the pot I usually sous vide in, and come to find out, the sides of my big cooler, which is what I was going to use for these, are too thick for my SV circulator to clamp on.

Yeah, I use a dedicated cooler with a hole drilled in the top of it. Google Coleman Stacker Packer Ice chest.....
Yeah, I've been resisting buying one of those coolers since most of what I SV fits in a stockpot, but I'm going to have to break over and buy one of those.

Reactions: indaswamp
Looks really good from over here.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: DougE
Worst part of making sausage is cleaning everything up afterwards.
So true! This is why, in my recommendations for stuffers, I like the 15lb heavy duty LEM i.e.MeatYourMaker one, or 5# LEM... the wider can os the max height you can fit in a GE dishwasher and have arms spin!

I love being able to grind and stuff, the a quick rinse and all parts into the dishwasher for high heat antibacterial cycle! I mix 6# or less in my kitchenaid mixer, bowl and all fits in there too!
20220918_225512.jpg

Reactions: DougE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky