More Kabanosy Bytes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
This is the Hank Shaw recipe. I added 1/2 tsp FLC for the lactic acid and some dextrose. You can use FLC with cure 1 or 2.
not in the picture is 1t sugar.
kby.jpg

3 lbs fresh ground pork. (fresh then i froze for later)
kby1.jpg

All mixed up and in the fridge while the sheep casings soak.
kby2.jpg

Any chance for a link to the recipe? Thanks
Dont know if i should post links but just google hank shaw kabanosy or Honest food and you will go to his site.

To ferment i do for while, since these are using FLC i only hung them for couple hours.

kbites1.jpg

kbites.jpg

Hanging now in the vertical, hickory on smoke setting.
hankaby.jpg

Reactions: uncle eddie
Pulled them from smoker at 152 IT, checked them 30 mins and they went to 153 IT. All is good

They have been cooling now for 2 hours. Brown bag em and fridge for couple days.
kabyc.jpg

My wife said these are pretty good.
bkab.jpg

The FLC added a slight tang, not over powered.
bkab1.jpg

Thanks for the likes everyone.

Looks very nice, Rick! Beautiful color... Nice fat distribution...I have this recipe in my archive but never tried it... I definitely will. Quick question for you: looks like you linked them at not longer then 4" long. Any purpose you made link shorter then traditional kabanosy? Just curious - in fact, I like them short.....

Looks very nice, Rick! Beautiful color... Nice fat distribution...I have this recipe in my archive but never tried it... I definitely will. Quick question for you: looks like you linked them at not longer then 4" long. Any purpose you made link shorter then traditional kabanosy? Just curious - in fact, I like them short.....
I just wanted them short, between 1-2"

I didnt have any celery seed that was called in the recipe so i used 1/4 t of celery flakes that got ground with the mix, the smoked sea salt added a nice taste.

Thanks. I've made lots of kielbasa ( fresh and smoked) but have never used cultures to get the sour tang. I will try it out on some kielbasa snack sticks
Make sure you use some dextrose for the fermentation, if you like a heavy tang you could add more FLC

Or if you dont have any FLC you could use ECA.

If I can't get the F-LC how much ECA would you recommend using?
1 level tsp per pound of meat.
Dont add eca to meat if your going to fridge the meat overnight, add eca last before stuffing

Reactions: stayhot
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky