More Columbian Santarosano Chorizo (St. Rose Sausage)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

geostriata

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 18, 2021
California
I I-am-Chorizo original recipe started it on this thread, then iterated upon by SmokinEdge SmokinEdge over here, followed by DougE DougE over here and BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma over here. The Columbian St. Rose chorizo has taken the sausage subforum by storm, and I wanted to try for myself.

I only made two minor changes to the recipe:
  1. Water instead of wine (at 1oz/lb). Partially because of ph/binding and partially because I didn't have the best red wine.
  2. A little fresh garlic added for aroma instead of just roasted garlic. (In retrospect, I think it's better to go 100% roasted garlic).
I also did my best translation of the original recipe, and weighed each component to try to help make the recipe be more reproduceable. The original recipe also listed green onion and scallions (which I thought were the same thing), so I just added a little extra green onion. Here what I used:

Per 1lb of pork, roughly 30% fat / 70% lean (I used pork shoulder):
  • Green Onion, Minced Half Green and Half White "Bulb" portion: 20g
  • Roasted Garlic, Minced or Smashed. 3.5g (~4 cloves)
  • Cilantro, Minced: 3g
  • Kosher Salt: 6.8g (1.5% weight)
  • Paprika: 0.7g
  • Cumin: 0.9g
  • Cure #1: 1.13g
  • Sodium Erythorbate: 0.3g
  • Coarse Black Pepper: 0.5g
  • Water: 28.3g (1oz) (Or use same quantity in red wine if you prefer)
Here's the pork shoulder pieces I used, for 2.67lbs of pork. Amounts in the photos are for that amount of pork (the above recipe is normalized to 1lb, so I multiplied all of the above by 2.67).

1716260483873.png

I cubed up the lean separately so that I could grind it coarser, as I usually do (similar to Krakowski "show meat"). Coarse grind for lean and medium (~7mm) for the rest. Since there's no binder, I like to at least have a medium grind in there.

1716260639935.png

Here are the ingredients. The blob in the center is the mashed roasted garlic:

1716260687715.png

Post mix and into the stuffer.

1716260762936.png

Then stuffed into 32mm natural casings. Special thanks to SmokinEdge SmokinEdge on this part! I haven't as much experience with natural casings, but the baking soda made it SO much easier.

1716260797403.png

I set the sausage aside and then made my obligatory sausage burger with the remnants:

1716260842840.png

Just a simple open-face sausage burger on toasted hamburger bun, and OMG THIS IS THE BEST BURGER EVER. I was blown away. I've never had a sausage this good and possibly never a burger this good. Flavor is AMAZING.

I got excited and cut off a link that hasn't rested or smoked yet simply because it was so good. Pan steamed in water then fried in butter for browning:

1716260983236.png

Will still post the product tomorrow after it's been smoked properly. But yes, this is definitely a must-make sausage.

Last edited:
Looks excellent. That cut shows you have sausage savy, and the recipe shows you have good taste. Nice work. I’m still tuned in for the final.

Reactions: geostriata
Sounds good, BUT looks fantastic. I could inhale a couple or 3 of just the burgers.

Also in for the final smokedown.

David
I know! The burgers were SO good! Normally I find the sausage form to be ideal and the burgers are made to either sample the recipe or simply to not waste the filling... not in this recipe.

To be honest, I think I'm going to have to serve them both ways to my friends.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
  1. Water instead of wine (at 1oz/lb). Partially because of ph/binding and partially because I didn't have the best red wine.
Skipping the wine is a mistake. Although not a game changer, the wine brings an earthy tone to the sausage overall, definitely worth not skipping.
I use Merlot and Chianti wine in many sausage recipes, no binding issues and no negative effects at all.

Skipping the wine is a mistake. Although not a game changer, the wine brings an earthy tone to the sausage overall, definitely worth not skipping.
I use Merlot and Chianti wine in many sausage recipes, no binding issues and no negative effects at all.
Maybe I'll try with wine once I get better wine and do an A/B test.

I've tried adding alcohol to my sausages in the past (beer in hot links and wine in Chorizo) and felt it made the result worse (especially beer). The deciding factor in this recipe was that it wasn't a part of the original recipe ( I I-am-Chorizo felt it could be overpowering) and the quality of my wine. Garbage in garbage out.

Regardless, I know for sure that it's still absolutely delicious without the wine. In any case, I updated the recipe description as "water or wine" since it seems to be great either way.

Last edited:
I I-am-Chorizo original recipe started it on this thread, then iterated upon by SmokinEdge SmokinEdge over here, followed by DougE DougE over here and BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma over here. The Columbian St. Rose chorizo has taken the sausage subforum by storm, and I wanted to try for myself.

2. A little fresh garlic added for aroma instead of just roasted garlic.
I also did my best translation of the original recipe, and weighed each component to try to help make the recipe be more reproduceable. The original recipe also listed green onion and scallions (which I thought were the same thing), so I just added a little extra green onion. Here what I used:

• Fresh Garlic, Minced or Smashed. Half roasted, and half fresh: 3.5g (~4 cloves)
Here's the pork shoulder pieces I used, for 2.67lbs of pork. Amounts in the photos are for that amount of pork (the above recipe is normalized to 1lb, so I multiplied all of the above by 2.67).

View attachment 697209

I cubed up the lean separately so that I could grind it coarser, as I usually do (similar to Krakowski "show meat"). Coarse grind for lean and medium (~7mm) for the rest. Since there's no binder, I like to at least have a medium grind in there.

View attachment 697211

View attachment 697212

View attachment 697213

Then stuffed into 32mm natural casings. Special thanks to SmokinEdge SmokinEdge on this part! I haven't as much experience with natural casings, but the baking soda made it SO much easier.

View attachment 697214

I set the sausage aside and then made my obligatory sausage burger with the remnants:

View attachment 697215

Just a simple open-face sausage burger on toasted hamburger bun, and OMG THIS IS THE BEST BURGER EVER. I was blown away. I've never had a sausage this good and possibly never a burger this good. Flavor is AMAZING.

I got excited and cut off a link that hasn't rested or smoked yet simply because it was so good. Pan steamed in water then fried in butter for browning:

View attachment 697216

Will still post the product tomorrow after it's been smoked properly. But yes, this is definitely a must-make sausage.
Wow! What an honor it is to have my initial recipe reproduced, improved and accepted among experienced Sausage makers.
I must say you have done

2. A little fresh garlic added for aroma instead of just roasted garlic.

• Fresh Garlic, Minced or Smashed. Half roasted, and half fresh: 3.5g (~4 cloves)

View attachment 697209

View attachment 697211

View attachment 697212

View attachment 697213

View attachment 697214

View attachment 697215

View attachment 697216

WOW! what an honor it is to see my recipe reproduced, improved and shared among experienced smokers.

I must say you have done an impecable Job in here and now it will be easier for other people to attempt this sausage. I believe the scallions-green onion-chives topic deserves some debate though.

I am about to start a 20 kilos batch tomorrow, I ask for your permission to post updates in this thread...just to keep the chorizo flame burning.

Regards

Albert

WOW! what an honor it is to see my recipe reproduced, improved and shared among experienced smokers.

I must say you have done an impecable Job in here and now it will be easier for other people to attempt this sausage. I believe the scallions-green onion-chives topic deserves some debate though.

I am about to start a 20 kilos batch tomorrow, I ask for your permission to post updates in this thread...just to keep the chorizo flame burning.

Regards

Albert
I'm glad you think it's a good job!

Curious about the scallions-green onion-chives topic. My understanding is that scallions and green onions are the same thing, but I haven't heard chives mentioned yet in the other threads.
(Edit: It looks like the original recipe had Long Green Onion/Welsh Onion (No bulb) and your standard scallion, as mentioned here. As these are both scallions, I'm inclined to think the above recipe translation is still OK).

Do you believe that is what is missing? In any case, if you think something's missing or should be updated/adjusted, please let me know and I'll give it a try!

I'm just about to pull them out of the smoker in a bit and will definitely post pictures then. Happy to keep the Chorizo flame burning :)

Last edited:
I'm glad you think it's a good job!

Curious about the scallions-green onion-chives topic. My understanding is that scallions and green onions are the same thing, but I haven't heard chives mentioned yet in the other threads.
(Edit: It looks like the original recipe had Long Green Onion/Welsh Onion (No bulb) and your standard scallion, as mentioned here. As these are both scallions, I'm inclined to think the above recipe translation is still OK).

Do you believe that is what is missing? In any case, if you think something's missing or should be updated/adjusted, please let me know and I'll give it a try!

I'm just about to pull them out of the smoker in a bit and will definitely post pictures then. Happy to keep the Chorizo flame burning :)
I think I might have made mistakes with the translation and what I used is the Long green onion and chives. Anyway, I don't think it has a significant weight in the final result.

Ok, just pulled out of the smoker after 3.5hrs of smoke at 140. IT was 132.

1716328243108.png

Wrapped these guys in chainmail and dropped into my DIY sausage sous vide bucket at 152F

After IT of 150 was hit (~30mins), I took them out, chilled, and dried exterior:

1716328046112.png

Pan sautéed in water then oil:
1716328088833.png

And cut:

1716328107931.png

They were delicious, but I wish I could figure out how to pan sear to get those char marks without bursting the casing. Nevertheless, the skin was brown and delightfully crispy.

I think, in retrospect, it was a mistake to use fresh garlic. Flavor is a bit strong in the sausage (but not, interestingly, in the burger). Will do fully roasted garlic next time, with minced lean, and my favorite bottle of Merlot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky