Mold test

Discussion in 'Cheese' started by hillbilly jim, Aug 11, 2016.

1. hillbilly jim

hillbilly jim Meat Mopper

Yesterday (10 AUG), at 3:30 PM, I put a quarter of raw Sharp Cheddar and a quarter of Sharp Cheddar that has been smoked for 16 hours on a plastic food sheet and covered them with a glass bowl.

This test is to indicate which one will show mold first and how long it takes to develop.

I will report with a photo as soon as I see evidence.

smokeymose likes this.
  2.                                                                        [​IMG]

3. redheelerdog

redheelerdog Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

4. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I'm sort of curious as to why you are doing this experiment.

Vac packed cheese will stay good without mold for a year or longer in the fridge.

Do you store your cheese un-refrigerated?

Just asking.

Al

5. hillbilly jim

My hypothesis is that the smoke will act as a retardant to the onset of mold.

I know the raw cheese is going to mold and I fully expect the smoked cheese to mold. The purpose of this test is to determine the time lag (if any) of the smoked cheese going to mold as compared to the raw cheese.

The raw cheese is simply acting as a 'base standard' against which the smoke cheese will be compared.  

No, I DON'T store my cheese unrefrigerated.

6. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

OK I understand now.

I think you may be right, that the smoke will inhibit mold growth.

Should be interesting.

Al

7. crankybuzzard

crankybuzzard Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I'm in

8. smokeymose

smokeymose Master of the Pit

I'm curious, too. I coat my cheese with olive oil and vac pack and have yet to see any mold after months. I've had snack sticks develope mold after 3 or 4 weeks in the fridge in baggies. I think it's all about air & moisture, not smoke.
    Points for sacrificing two hunks of cheese for science!! Thumbs Up
    :popcorn

9. atomicsmoke

atomicsmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member

The smoke is a mold retardant and this experiment should prove it. Another proof is the known fact that cold smoking dry cured sausages/salamis after they develop the beneficial white mold will kill it.

10. hillbilly jim

No mold yet, but it's still early. I'll let y'all know soon as I see anything.

11. hillbilly jim

I found evidence this morning about 8:30 AM. That's less than three full days.

12. hillbilly jim

Four days into the test and there's mold developing all over the raw cheese. None at all yet on the smoked cheese.

13. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

What temp is the cheese being kept at?

14. hillbilly jim

Between 68 and 70. I just checked it again. Still no mold on the smoked piece.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  15. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I've got smoked cheese that has been vac packed and going on 22 months old  in my snack fridge , there is no mold.

16. fpmich

fpmich Smoking Fanatic

cool test.  I'm waiting to see the time lag diff too.

17. hillbilly jim

​The two cheeses in this test are neither packaged or refrigerated.

I just checked it again and there's still no mold on the smoked cheese. The raw cheese is past the point where most people would chuck it in the trash. 

I have noticed, however, that the color of the smoked cheese is darkening.

18. hillbilly jim

I shot this photo this morning (18 AUG 16). This is after 8 days under a glass bowl at ambient room temps.

crazymoon and smokeymose like this.
  19. smokeymose

smokeymose Master of the Pit

Excellent experiment, Hillbilly!
    I think at this point we know smoking is a good thing (We all agree on that, anyway, right? 😀)
    I think now I would package the smoked one and slice the mold off the other one and eat it. Don't tell my wife that, though....
    Dan

:points:

20. fpmich

fpmich Smoking Fanatic

That's amazing so far!

Especially, as the smoked cheese is so close to un-smoked and under same bowl.  It certainly is exposed to mold spores and yet no signs of any growing.