• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Mold test

hillbilly jim

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 13, 2015
Yesterday (10 AUG), at 3:30 PM, I put a quarter of raw Sharp Cheddar and a quarter of Sharp Cheddar that has been smoked for 16 hours on a plastic food sheet and covered them with a glass bowl.

This test is to indicate which one will show mold first and how long it takes to develop.

I will report with a photo as soon as I see evidence.

jasper7

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Mar 14, 2013

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I'm sort of curious as to why you are doing this experiment.

Vac packed cheese will stay good without mold for a year or longer in the fridge.

Do you store your cheese un-refrigerated?

Just asking.

Al

hillbilly jim

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 13, 2015
My hypothesis is that the smoke will act as a retardant to the onset of mold.

I know the raw cheese is going to mold and I fully expect the smoked cheese to mold. The purpose of this test is to determine the time lag (if any) of the smoked cheese going to mold as compared to the raw cheese.

The raw cheese is simply acting as a 'base standard' against which the smoke cheese will be compared.  

No, I DON'T store my cheese unrefrigerated.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
OK I understand now.

I think you may be right, that the smoke will inhibit mold growth.

Should be interesting.

Al

smokeymose

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
I'm curious, too. I coat my cheese with olive oil and vac pack and have yet to see any mold after months. I've had snack sticks develope mold after 3 or 4 weeks in the fridge in baggies. I think it's all about air & moisture, not smoke.
Points for sacrificing two hunks of cheese for science!! Thumbs Up
:popcorn

atomicsmoke

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 3, 2014
The smoke is a mold retardant and this experiment should prove it. Another proof is the known fact that cold smoking dry cured sausages/salamis after they develop the beneficial white mold will kill it.

hillbilly jim

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 13, 2015
Four days into the test and there's mold developing all over the raw cheese. None at all yet on the smoked cheese.

b-one

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 31, 2014
What temp is the cheese being kept at?

crazymoon

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 24, 2014
I've got smoked cheese that has been vac packed and going on 22 months old  in my snack fridge , there is no mold.

hillbilly jim

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 13, 2015

I've got smoked cheese that has been vac packed and going on 22 months old  in my snack fridge , there is no mold.
​The two cheeses in this test are neither packaged or refrigerated.

I just checked it again and there's still no mold on the smoked cheese. The raw cheese is past the point where most people would chuck it in the trash. 

I have noticed, however, that the color of the smoked cheese is darkening.

smokeymose

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
Excellent experiment, Hillbilly!
I think at this point we know smoking is a good thing (We all agree on that, anyway, right? [emoji]128512[/emoji])
I think now I would package the smoked one and slice the mold off the other one and eat it. Don't tell my wife that, though....
Dan

:points:

fpmich

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 17, 2013
That's amazing so far!

Especially, as the smoked cheese is so close to un-smoked and under same bowl.  It certainly is exposed to mold spores and yet no signs of any growing.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.