1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Mold inoculation

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by Holly2015, May 17, 2018.

1. Holly2015

Holly2015 Fire Starter

My last Bresaola's I used Bactroferm600 mold culture and it worked exceptionally well. I rehydrated the mold for 12 hours then put into a spray bottle and spritzed the bresaola's and within 36 hours I had 90% coverage. After 2 months after the bresaola's were finished I brushed 10 grams of beautiful white fluffy talcum powder consistency mold off the bresaola in preparation of slicing it up.

My question is if I had new fresh off the cure and ready to be inoculated bresaola, salami, sausage or whatever could I brush off the fluffy existing mold off a cured/curing meat and rub it onto a fresh piece? Basically harvest mold.

If this is good way I can continually stage meats to be inoculated with "harvested" molds and not have to purchase more cultures in the future.

2. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Should work very well... Mold has been known to migrate from the walls of the chamber to the meat also...

On the "devils advocate side"... The molds you purchased were grown in a sterile environment... Harvesting the mold "could" contain weird strains of other molds.... OR... Maybe the mold found a "partner" and did some cross breeding ??? I have NO idea if that is even remotely possible.. It is early here... second cup of cofefe..

3. Holly2015

Holly2015 Fire Starter

I see the thread was moved from "general discussion" to "sausage" but should this been moved to "curing" as I think that might be a more direct connection?

4. Holly2015

Holly2015 Fire Starter

Thanks Dave. The interesting thing is I have naked guanciale, cheese cloth wrapped pancetta and duck prosciutto that are in the same chamber as the bresaola. No mold or at least visible mold has established on anything but the bresaola. Well I did spot a tiny spot of green mold on the pancetta this morning that I spritzed the spot with 50/50 vinegar/water solution. I'll unwrap the whole thing tonight for a through inspection and doctor as or if needed.

5. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Do you have a fan gently moving air in the chamber ??? Air movement "may" move any spores to the naked meat... If they have "matured"... Air movement also dries the meat surface "enough" to assist in preventing transient mold growth..
    So, one might defeat the other... Mold, as I have read, needs a moist surface to take root...
    As I reread the above, I have concluded I don't know squat about molds...

6. Holly2015

Holly2015 Fire Starter

There is a condenser fan for the cooling. The heater has a fan and the humidifier while an ultrasonic will also cause air to move. I do not have a dedicated low CFM circulation fan but the air is not stagnate either.

I'm with you on the mold thing. What I know would fit on the tip of a pin.