Molasses Bacon, Maple Bacon, Bacon Side By Side

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Randy, Disco, Jokensmoken, etc, etc:

Guys, I never tried this but I was told this a long time ago:

Maple syrup flavor doesn't survive cooking. I would try Fenugreek seed, it contains a compound  that smells like maple syrup. It's used in imitation maple syrup. You could make imitation syrup  or extract to flavor the bacon, but I'd try some crushed seeds in the cure. This recipe  calls for 1/2 teaspoon per pound of meat.

Somebody give it a try & post how it worked.

Bear

The butcher up the street makes maple bacon and sausage that tastes strongly of maple. I have no idea of how they do it. I ask and was given instructions that didn't work. I'm thinking extract might work???

Randy,
I used some extract a couple of years ago. It gives more of the maple flavour from commercial products but I didn't care for it part

Randy, Disco, Jokensmoken, etc, etc:

Guys, I never tried this but I was told this a long time ago:

Maple syrup flavor doesn't survive cooking. I would try Fenugreek seed, it contains a compound  that smells like maple syrup. It's used in imitation maple syrup. You could make imitation syrup  or extract to flavor the bacon, but I'd try some crushed seeds in the cure. This recipe  calls for 1/2 teaspoon per pound of meat.

Somebody give it a try & post how it worked.

Bear
Thanks, Bear. I don't know about maple syrup not surviving cooking. The maple bacon definitely has its own different taste but not like commercial maple bacon which might be what was being referred to.

I have been able to get that commercial taste to some degree by using maple extract but found I actually don't like that artificial flavour in my or the commercial version.

That being said, fenugreek has a great flavour and would great on bacon either way, it is definitely worth trying!

Disco

Way to go Disco! I have done all three, but not side-by-side for comparison.  I have noticed It seems, the fats tend to take the flavors of the maple more readily than the lean meat. This was somewhat true with the Molassis as well. I like it mild flavored, so this was acceptable to me anyway for what I was after.

Fenugreek.... hmmm...

Way to go Disco! I have done all three, but not side-by-side for comparison.  I have noticed It seems, the fats tend to take the flavors of the maple more readily than the lean meat. This was somewhat true with the Molassis as well. I like it mild flavored, so this was acceptable to me anyway for what I was after.

Fenugreek.... hmmm...
Thanks! We will give credit to Bear for Fenugreek bacon!

Thanks! We will give credit to Bear for Fenugreek bacon!
Yeah, O'l Bear is at it again! The bait is set. Who will be the first fenugreek geek?

Actually, I have a bit of it in my spice cabinet that has been there a while. It has sat there unused because I have never known what to do with it. I don't see belly bacon as something I would be willing to experiment using it on. Maple is not a flavor I prefer in bacon either. I might try on some bucky bacon from shoulder or something first. I do like a bit of maple once in a while as a ham or CB flavoring. I do add maple extract and a tablespoon of allspice, and that turns out real nice. As for fenugreek, I don't have a clue what quantity or how to use it. Roast and grind it? Soak it first? I might grind up a few tablespoons and put it in a stir fry to see if I even like it.

Last edited:

Yeah, O'l Bear is at it again! The bait is set. Who will be the first fenugreek geek?

Actually, I have a bit of it in my spice cabinet that has been there a while. It has sat there unused because I have never known what to do with it. I don't see belly bacon as something I would be willing to experiment using it on. Maple is not a flavor I prefer in bacon either. I might try on some bucky bacon from shoulder or something first. I do like a bit of maple once in a while as a ham or CB flavoring. I do add maple extract and a tablespoon of allspice, and that turns out real nice. As for fenugreek, I don't have a clue what quantity or how to use it. Roast and grind it? Soak it first? I might grind up a few tablespoons and put it in a stir fry to see if I even like it.
That recipe says 1/2 tsp per pound of Meat.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

If you click on "This Recipe" in my post #21, it will take you to the Recipe.

Bear

Last edited:

That recipe says 1/2 tsp per pound of Meat.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

If you click on "This Recipe" in my post #21, it will take you to the Recipe.

Bear
I typically don't dry cure. Pops is way easier. Not sure how that would work out with a wet brine. Perhaps apply it after cure and dust it on while drying before smoke??? Just thinking out loud...

I typically don't dry cure. Pops is way easier. Not sure how that would work out with a wet brine. Perhaps apply it after cure and dust it on while drying before smoke??? Just thinking out loud...
Hmmm, Sorry I can't help with that one.

Maybe one of our Wet Brining Friends can help you.

I would think it would dilute too much in a Wet Brine, but I'm just guessing.

Maybe pulverize it into a fine powder & sprinkle it on after curing, but before getting the pellicle.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky