Mojo Chicken

Discussion in 'Grilling Chicken' started by nepas, Mar 26, 2012.

1. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Got a 5 pounder ready for some mojo. Rinsed and clean.

[​IMG]

In the mojo juice for an overnight.
    [​IMG]

Undecided if mojochik is going in my MAK or Meadow Creek.

2. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

nepas, morning.....  I'm in for the revue.....   [​IMG]....

3. What's your mojo recipe Rick?

4. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Oh its easy one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. nepas

Gimme some mojo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Man that looks awesome - Going to have to try that one 

7. daveomak

Well ?????  What did you think of the citrus flavors ????  Will you make it again ????  I have made it and I thought it could have used a little something else, don't know what...  Dave

8. s2k9k

s2k9k AMNPS Test Group

That's some Mojo Good Looking chicken!!

9. nepas

Yeah my wife said the same, its missing something. Maybe lime juice perhaps?

Yeah i will make again

10. jrod62

jrod62 Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

Looks good to me

11. nepas

My parents had a medium sized chicken farm when i lived at home, Tending to the chickens for 18 years i got sick of em. Its only been the the past 8 years or so that i can eat chicken again. Dont like wings still though. Same with watermelon, cantaloupe, 5 acres of em and to this day i still cant stand em. And this was back in the 60s-70s......YIKES

[​IMG]

12. You need to get some of this next time and make your own. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. sam3

sam3 Smoking Fanatic

Try this for a homemade Mojo. Get the Adobo with the Sour Orange like alelover mentioned above.

1/4 cup EVOO

3 garlic cloves, minced.

2 tsp Adobo with Sour Orange

2 tsp fresh lemon juice

1 tsp Oregano

1/4 tsp black pepper

2 packets of Sazon with Coriander & Annatto

14. nepas

I gotta get my son in law to make some of his stuff, he is puerto rican.

15. Looks good!

16. sam3

sam3 Smoking Fanatic

I have a friend who is Cuban and he will not give me his recipe for nothing. He's a chef and has a side business catering pig roasts, etc.

This recipe is pretty darn close to his.

17. Looks good! I can sympathize with you on the things you can't stand after being on the farm!

18. daveomak

nepas, morning......  This "missing something" has been buggin' me..... now that I'm not the only one that thought that, I am doing research..... 

Ingredients  

Onion, garlic, Cumin, Oregano, salt, Black pepper, Orange and Lemon Juice

I have this book, "Page and Dornenburg" are the authors... "The Flavor Bible" is the title...

Oregano is not listed as an accompanying flavor to orange....

A list of the "major" compatible flavor profiles they list, that I am going to try, in my own scratch mix, are........

basil, black pepper, cilantro, cinnamon (stick), garlic, honey, (orange blossom honey might be good here), onion, rosemary and vanilla (bean I would think).....

The citrus flavors sounded soooooo good, I was disappointed in the flavor profile it left in the food..  Maybe I expected too much, probably.... I sure smelled good when it was cooking...

One thing I'm thinking is making a finely ground rub from the spices and herbs... maybe adding to a brine...  and then basting with the fruit juices....  

Well, I had to share my last few hours of thinking with someone....  [​IMG]....

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012