Moink Loaf With Plenty of Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

the dude abides

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 12, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
Promised the wife I'd make a smoked meatloaf tonight along with the ribs I was doing.  So I thought I'd add a little twist and mix in some bratwurst meat to enhance the flavor.

Here's what I'm starting with.  2lbs 80/20 ground beef, using 3 of the brats, will be mixing in, garlic powder, worcestershire sauce, eggs, onion flavored crackers, sweet yellow onion, and some salt and pepper.

ry%3D400

Start with the ground beef, and 1/2 of a large sweet yellow onion

ry%3D400

I slit the skins on the bratwurst and took the meat out. 

ry%3D400

Add 3 large eggs

ry%3D400

A full sleeve of Toasted Onion crackers and a splash of milk.  I don't know why, that's just how mom does it.

ry%3D400

Then get messy and mix it all up to get everything evenly distributed

ry%3D400

You can leave out the milk and I would actually recommend it if smoking on right on the grates.  Mine was a little too wet so I added in some bread crumbs so it wouldn't fall through the grates.  Then I put into a loaf pan to form.

ry%3D400

I didn't put any ketchup or BBQ sauce on the top because my kids hate the chewy texture it gets.  I did sprinkle on a little rub though.  The flash on my camera ruined this picture.  But it came out really nice.  I smoked this at 260* for around 3 hours until my Thermapen said I hit 170* internal.

ry%3D400

It had a good flavor.  I think next time I'll add even more bratwurst meat.  It wasn't quite as pronounced as I'd hoped.  But still pretty darned good. 

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Hey Dude, that is some good looking meat loaf!  Again that is something I have never smoked but has moved up on my things to do list!  I have a question though, you said you put it in a loaf pan to form.  Did you take it out of the loaf pan to smoke it?  I can see where it might be nice if you knew ahead and made it the night before, placed it in a loaf pan sprayed with PAM and then slid it out the next day to smoke, or with the eggs and crackers, do it like you did it, all I need to know is did you smoke it in the pan or remove it to smoke it?  Looks great Dude!  From the looks on your daughters face she liked it too!  Keep up the good work!

Your SMF Friend,

Barry 
biggrin.gif

Hey Dude, that is some good looking meat loaf!  Again that is something I have never smoked but has moved up on my things to do list!  I have a question though, you said you put it in a loaf pan to form.  Did you take it out of the loaf pan to smoke it?  I can see where it might be nice if you knew ahead and made it the night before, placed it in a loaf pan sprayed with PAM and then slid it out the next day to smoke, or with the eggs and crackers, do it like you did it, all I need to know is did you smoke it in the pan or remove it to smoke it?  Looks great Dude!  From the looks on your daughters face she liked it too!  Keep up the good work!

Your SMF Friend,

Barry 
biggrin.gif
Hey Barry,

I removed it from the pan.  I've seen folks on here use disposable alluminum pans and just poke them full of holes for smoke penetration that way

Hey Jay that is awesome looking meatloaf - I love smoked meatloaf and I am truly glad to see you fireing up the smoker again

Great Looking Meatloaf,  It is one of my favorite comfort foods...

That's a great looking loaf and from the picture of your daughter, "TASTEY" too.If you are afraid it might fall through the grates and you don't want to use any kind of pan, I would suggest getting a Pizza screen to put it on in the smoker for maximum smoke penetration. ----
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Nice job Jay, meatloaf is one of my favorites, just haven't smoked one yet. Guess that'll have to go on the todo list.

Thanks everyone.  It was great for lunch today too as a cold meatloaf sandwich.  Damn I love those things

Hey Jay that is awesome looking meatloaf - I love smoked meatloaf and I am truly glad to see you fireing up the smoker again

Hey Gary,

I've been smoking just not posting much lately.  This site seems to be as slow as heck anymore.  Takes me forever to even get on to look at what others are doing.  I surf the site much faster if I don't log in from my phone.  So I'm around, just more lurking than beng active.

Peace,

The Dude

I've made meatloaf on the smoker and it is always good, but the added brat meat is interesting let us know when you get that perfect mix...

Nice Dude....GF's not a big fan of the meatloaf but she did enjoy the beef fattie I smoked so think this goes on the 'to do' list. Maybe with some good choriso mixed in for some zing

Great looking Meat Loaf!!!!!!!! I made one the other day, but had to freeze it before i got a chance to cook it... i used Crushed Cheese-Its for the bread asspect LOL... curious to taste it still!

Yours looks damn good!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky