Mods to lower temp in barrel-type smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texherp

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Hi this is my first post.

My goal is to hot-smoke fish which my research indicates requires temps of about 90 degrees for the first phase of the smoking process.  Then you raise the temps to get the fish to 160 degrees internal temperature.

I want to buy either the Master Forage or Brinkman upright barrel-type smoker (mostly because they're cheap and available) which, based on comments and reviews, smoke at about 225-250 degrees.  But they don't have any way of reducing the temp to the 90 degrees I need.  So my question is, are there modifications I can do to reach a lower temp, like making my own vents or maybe propping open the outside components at the top and bottom?

Or, are there other low-cost smokers out there that can go that low in temp?

I appreciate the help!

Hi this is my first post.

My goal is to hot-smoke fish which my research indicates requires temps of about 90 degrees for the first phase of the smoking process.  Then you raise the temps to get the fish to 160 degrees internal temperature.

I want to buy either the Master Forage or Brinkman upright barrel-type smoker (mostly because they're cheap and available) which, based on comments and reviews, smoke at about 225-250 degrees.  But they don't have any way of reducing the temp to the 90 degrees I need.  So my question is, are there modifications I can do to reach a lower temp, like making my own vents or maybe propping open the outside components at the top and bottom?

Or, are there other low-cost smokers out there that can go that low in temp?

I appreciate the help!
When I've needed to do the same.

I've just used a light bulb for the lower temp, then pull it out and let the regular element take over as needed.

No major mods.

sausage.gif

Last edited:
welcome1.gif
  Glad to have you with us!

Would you go over to the roll call section & introduce yourself so we can all give you a proper SMF welcome.

Also would you please update your profile to include your location. Thank-you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky