Mo, from Kansas City

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scottymo15

Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
Hello everyone, my name is Mo and I'm from Kansas City, Missouri.  My smoker is a MES 40 and I have an AMNPS to go with it.  I have seasoned the smoker, but haven't used the AMNPS yet.  I'm getting ready to smoke a 5 lb brisket, and would love any and all suggestions.  I'm going to prepare it tonight and let it cook over night.

I have never smoked a brisket......is it 1.5 hours a pound?  Anyways, look forward to learning a lot from this forum!

Thanks!

Mo

Welcome to the group Mo!  You'll find that this is a great place to share ideas on smoking, grilling, etc.  There are plenty of folks here who genuinely enjoy helping one another.  Looking forward to your input, and just ask when you need anything...someone here will surely have the answer.

Congrats on the new MES!  You'll find that the AMNPS and your smoker are a match made in heaven!  Good luck with that brisket.  1.5 hours per pound of raw meat is a good rule of thumb, but only an estimate.  I always plan some extra time to insure its ready by dinner time.  If it gets done sooner, it will rest nicely wrapped in a towel in an ice cooler for a couple hours or more.  Just monitor the internal temp (IT), and take it to near 190* IT, then periodically test it for tenderness by poking in a few places with a toothpick...when the toothpick glides in easily, its done!  Every brisket is different, but the finished IT will probably be somewhere around 200*.  Many people will use the "Texas Crutch"...foiling the brisket, with a splash of liquid in the foil, once it reaches around 160-170 IT.  This can speed up the cook time, but reduces the amount of tasty bark on the exterior of the meat.  You'll have to try it both ways to decide what you like best.

Good luck!  Be sure to let us know how it turns out.

Red

Last edited:
[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

ReplyQuote  Multi

Scottymo :welcome1: to SMF from Lees Summit! Congrats on the new smoker and AMNPS! Red gave you some solid advice but he did forget to mention that when you go to wrap your brisket in towels to wrap it in foil first. That way all those good juices don't end up in your towels.

Last edited:
If you have not used the AMZNPS I would do a test run with it today. Also place it in smoker so no drippings fall on it, open chip loader and tray a few inches. You may even be able to remove both completely?

Yeah...I am trying to figure out where to put the AMNPS so my drippings don't get on it....someone said in the chip loader, but I'm not sure it will fit in there.  Another told me he maid some sort of aluminum drip cover to put over the top of it.  I'm just doing a 5 lb brisket, so I'm thinking maybe I can place the AMNPS on a lower rack not directly below the brisket.

Any further thoughts would be awesome!  I'm excited.

Mo

do you have any suggestions on where to place my AMNPS?  Won't i need something to protect the drips?

Scottymo
welcome1.gif
to SMF from Lees Summit! Congrats on the new smoker and AMNPS! Red gave you some solid advice but he did forget to mention that when you go to wrap your brisket in towels to wrap it in foil first. That way all those good juices don't end up in your towels.
Doh!  
hit.gif
 Ain't it funny how a guy's brain can desert him sometimes??  Thanks for catching that Smoke.  It doesn't make much since to wrap a brisket in just a towel, sounds kinda messy...

Red

Welcome! Another Kansas Citian here (Lees Summit).

Just picked up myself an AMNPS from the KCBBQ store, but its going on an UDS.. so Im not much help for the MES. The mailbox (or ammo can) mod looms pretty slick.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky